12

For some reason, it had become a routine for Phana to pick Arthit up from college and drop him at work.

And it had became a routine for Arthit too, to go with Phana, drink pink milk and eat something together in between.

And if Phana was late, Arthit would even wait for him.

It was their unspoken rule, to wait for each other.

And if ever, Phana couldn't pick him up, which was often, he would always send his car.

This had been going for a month.

Without explicitly agreeing, without much thinking, they have agreed to give each other company.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It so happened, that one particular week, Phana was absent for three consecutive days.

That has never occurred before.

So, on the fourth day, when Arthit again found the driver behind the wheel and no Phana, he was strangely disappointed. Kind of missed him too.

From his one word answers, to taunting comments, he kind of missed them.

So he finally asked the driver,

"Is Dr Phana very busy?"

The driver hesitated for a moment, then replied,

"Actually, Dr Phana behaves like this , around this time every year."

"Why? What happened?"

"It's his mother's death anniversary.she passed away 3years ago. And so as to not remember this date, he drowns himself in work more than usual"

"Oh..is that so?", Arthit felt bad for him. And at the same time, angry too.
Maybe this is the time to repay for his kindness, and knock some sense into him too.

"Driver, change of destination"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Phana was completely exhausted when he entered his cabin. He checked the time, 1:30am.

He sat down and rubbed his face. He had been working non stop for the past few days. And napping in his office itself in-between.

He wants to be busy, so as to not remember.

And the thing was, even though he was tired, he couldn't sleep. And he knew, at this rate, he's gonna be sick.

He got up, he needed some caffeine in his system.

He made his way to the cafeteria passing by the waiting room.

But stopped dead on his tracks.

There, sitting in one of the chairs was Arthit, sleeping.

His head was tilted in a weird angle, and a book lay open on his lap.

Phana came near him, and looked at him affectionately, idiot.

He extended his hand to touch him, but stopped midway. But in a very soft voice, he called him,

"Arthit"

And Arthit, a heavy sleeper, opened his eyes as if he was waiting for Phana to call him.

He pouted,"you are late!! I waited so long for you!!"

Phana facial expression became twisted. It was like he couldn't decide if he should smile or frown.

And if he was allowed to have his way, he would have hugged Arthit tight, as if to never let go, and then would have kissed his sweetly, to melt his anger away.

But instead he settled for a smile.

His features softened and he gave Arthit the most genuine smile he could muster.

"Sorry"

And it looked like it succeeded in cooling Arthit, because the next thing he said made Phana almost choke in emotions.

"Come, let's go home"

He held Phana by the arm and took him outside.

The whole car ride was silent. With Arthit trying to stay awake but still dozing off.

And Phana stealing glances at Arthit.

Home. What is home? Where is home? Is his apartment a home? Because it doesn't feel like it. He could easily sell it and buy another one, with no remorse.

So where is home? Phana wondered.

Arthit lightly snored beside him.

Phana looked at him and then smiled. It's as if he got his answer.

Home is with Arthit.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Even in his sleep addled brain, Arthit could make out that Phana took him to his home.

And as if sensing that Arthit's neck must be sore, he had gently place him on the bed and had slid the most comfortable pillow under his head.

Then he had proceeded to open Arthit's shoes and socks. And Arthit had almost giggled.

Strangely, this Phana was so much gentler than the morning Phana.

He had vaguely remembered Phana caressing his hair and murmuring something.

He had felt so warm, that when he moved away, Arthit had grabbed his hand and had demanded him to lay down.

And then Arthit had cuddled to his side as if attracted to the warmth.

And oddly, this time, Phana had closed his eyes into a peaceful sleep.

-------------------------tbc----------------------------