chapter seventeen

There was no surprise that all the boys in the fight got a detention

There was no surprise that all the boys in the fight got a detention. Clay and Scott were sitting next to each other in the middle of the classroom. Clay was staring Scott down, as he thought Scott didn't notice his deadly stare.

'What?' Scott asked defensively

'Why didn't you hit me?' Clay asked

'You looked pretty bad already' Scott trailed off

Clay noticed that he wasn't making direct eye contact, which might've been because of Bryce watching them, at the back of the classroom.

'Which you helped with' Clay stated which shocked Scott

'I didn't' Scott said simply

'Bullshit' Clay scoffed, 'Why wouldn't you help? Monty makes up a rumour about me getting with your ex-girlfriend. Why wouldn't I be one of your first targets?'

Scott looked back at Bryce, who sat there confused at their interaction.

'I lost everything after I decided to be friends with Bryce' Scott started, 'I've made my bed and I need to lay it in now. If Bella decided to be with you or any other guy, there is nothing I can do about it'

Clay nodded, 'I'm not with Bella. I don't know why I decided to fire you up'

'It's whatever now but...' he went on, 'I play baseball, it doesn't make me a fucking rapist'

...

Jessica and Bella sat in her living room with the infamous box between them. They had taken out the cow's heart and threw it into the near by lake, due to it's awful smell. There was no way they could keep it in the house, without Bella's mother finding it and asking questions.

'You need to tell your mum Bella' Jessica pleaded, 'She's a lawyer just like Clay's mother, she can help you'

'Jess my mother will absolutely put this person behind bars' Bella explained as Jessica gave her a 'duh' expression, 'But what if it makes it worse?'

Jessica breathed out, 'I guess so. This is so fucked up'

'Who could this be?' Jessica asked as Bella shook her head

'I don't know' Bella said, 'But let's just keep it to ourselves before we can do anything'

'I think you need to go to the police' Jessica demanded

'I can't Jess' Bella cried, 'What if it's the same person who is threatening everyone else? What if it's Bryce? Mr Walker knows the police personally and as if they will believe this'

Jessica knew exactly how Bella felt. After her testimonial at the trial, she felt like she couldn't come up against someone like Bryce.

'I guess you're right' Jessica said disheartened, 'But what if it's not'

'I can't think of anyone else' Bella said, 'That's the scary part'

'True that' Jessica breathed in with fear