Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Like many other nights, this night too, I cried to sleep. This was the least I was expecting before coming to New York. Getting married to someone I don't know, is a big thing but my family is not understanding it is another depressing thing. When the Sun rose up, I realized I hadn't slept at all. All night I kept wondering how Ken's friend would be. I don't even remember his name and the thought of marrying him was making me cry harder. I don't want to do this but then I reminded myself, that family comes first and I can do anything for my family.

As Ken told me to be ready at 9.30, I made sure I was ready before that. I wasn't really excited to meet his friend but I wanted this to end quickly. Maybe after meeting him, I could convince Ken that I can't do this. I wore a simple peach top and white denim jeans. I made a simple ponytail and worse my flats. I didn't apply anything on my face except for a little chapstick, I wasn't going to impress Ken's friend. It was just a simple meeting. I got ready and made my way downstairs where Ken and Dad were already having the breakfast and my stomach churned.

They didn't even call me.

"Oh...so you are ready?" Ken said looking up at me. I nodded and I don't know why but I decided to go against Mary today. She always preached that I should never lie to anyone but today it seems as one lie could save my life, so I blurted the line which most of the time saved me in my hostel.

"My stomach hurts." I said and Ken's brows furrow.

"Why?" He said and I shrugged.

"I'll take you to the doctor on our way." He said and I shook my head. I don't want to go to the doctor.

"Maybe if I'll rest...I'll probably get okay." I said but then he sighed heavily. Dad didn't even look up at me even for once and I think he is upset for my last night's behaviour.

"Meeting Seth is important Katherine and I said I'll take you to the doctor. I think we should go know." He said and I nodded knowing there is no way left I could decline this whole meet. I have to go and meet him today.

"Have some breakfast first Ken, then you may go." He told him but he didn't say anything to me, even when he knew I didn't have the dinner last night.

"We'll have at Seth's." He said but Dad stopped him.

"Don't leave the houses like that...eat something and then you can go." He said sternly and Ken finally gave in. I don't know why it looked like as if I was some unwanted guest in my own house.

"You too, sit." Dad added in the last without even looking at me but at least he said and with a huge grin, I sat on the same chair I sat last night. Ken and Dad were discussing something and the help were serving us breakfast. I wasn't hungry at all. In fact, the thought of meeting Ken's friend, who could be my future husband, was making me nauseous. I barely touched the breakfast and plopping down my medicine, I was ready to leave.

The entire car ride was silent. Ken and I didn't talk at all. Actually, I realized we don't know each other to have a common subject for our conversation. He was silently driving his car while I was looking out of the window to look at the New York city I left 16 years ago.

"Umm...where is George?" I asked Ken, trying to build the conversation.

"Who is George?" He said with a frown and I gaped.

"Your driver...you sent him to pick me up from the airport." I said and it looked as he recalled something.

"Oh...George. He isn't mine but Seth's driver and head security." He said nonchalantly and my mouth hangs open.