Chapter 37

Chapter 37

The days passed quickly and now I was in the car with Ken on the way to meet my Uncle Benjamin and his wife Jane. I had mixed emotions from the moment I heard about him. I was happy that my mum's brother wants to see me but at the time I was also nervous.

What if he doesn't like me?

What if I was again unwanted.

To be fair, I had enough of being ignored and treated badly. I don't know why I am hated so much and it hurts much more than anyone can realize. For some reasons, my own brother doesn't talk much to me, unless it's something about this fake marriage or something he wants me to do. There was pin-drop silence in the car, neither of us talking and it felt like two strangers were sitting in a cab who share the same destination.

I wanted to ask him so many questions about Uncle Ben and Jane but why it has to be me always making an effort. Sometimes, I feel I am comfortable around Sebastian who I barely knew and doesn't share any relationship instead of Ken. It was quite a long drive and by the time we reached there, my nervousness had already skyrocketed.

The car stopped and I looked outside the window to see a big mansion right in front of me. It was even bigger than my father's. I stepped out and tailed behind Ken as he walked ahead of me. I had bought them flowers and chocolates as a small gift but I think I should have brought something else.

When we entered in, I saw a couple, probably in their early 60s standing on the door, as if they were waiting for us. Ken was the first one who hugged Uncle and then his wife. He looked behind and introduced me to them.

"This is Katherine." He said and Uncle's smile dropped as he looked at me. I shifted uncomfortably under his gaze knowing he already hates.

He came closer and stood right in front of me. For a few seconds, he just kept staring me. My hands were fidgeting and I was bouncing on my feet, shifting my weight from one foot to the another in nervousness. Suddenly his eyes turned watery and a small smile appeared on his face.

"You just look like your mother, my Bella." He said in a choky voice. It took me a few seconds to understand him and unintentionally a lone drop of tear escaped my eye.

Jane, his wife, came forward with the same watery eyes and stood beside her husband.

"You are beautiful my girl, just like Bella. Same eyes, same nose." She said and I smiled.

"T-Thanks." I said and she gave me a tight hug.

Once we broke the hug, Uncle Ben hugged me, unable to say anything as he might break down. They led us in and sat in their living room which was very warm and cosy.

"You might not remember us as we haven't met before, but I am your mother's older brother. Benjamin. You Uncle Ben, Benji, whatever you feel like." He introduced himself.

"I am sorry." I admitted my mistake genuinely.

"It's not your fault sweety. The first and the only time we saw you, you were just a day old. After that...things changed." Jane said in a bit hesitant tone and then she looked at Uncle Ben.

"How's your father."

"He is fine." Ken spoke my behalf and Uncle Ben merely nodded.

"Kate, tell us how are you, how was Seattle. I want to know every single thing." She smiled.

"I am fine. Seattle was okay. I had a very different life their in comparisons to this."

"We never wanted you to go to Seattle. We missed out so much from your life. Bella would have wanted you to stay close to the family, close to us." Uncle Ben admitted sadly and just have him a small tight-lipped smile.