Two Hundred Years Later

Alpha Jason Maut

Something's wrong with the pack. I can feel it. I increase the speed of my wolf and together we sprint through the forest like the devil's hounds were after us. I need to get back to my mate and our son Luca.

Am miles away from the pack house. Too busy hunting some intruders I didn't notice it at first.
My pack is silent. The mind link I have with every member has gone quiet. Am not even sure how long it has been since the silence began.
I can't talk to my mate either but at least, I know she's alive. I'd know it if she was dead.

But even as I race through the forest, I can't help the bad feeling creeping up my spine. I come to a skidding halt at the edge of the forest facing the compound of the pack house.
A man is standing in the compound. But a flash of lightning reveals the strangest sight I have ever seen. His shaddow... it has wings! But when I look back at him, I see nothing. No wings whatsoever. Am sure I was just seeing things.

He moves out of the shadows to stand in front of me. He is taller than I first thought. About 6 '4 with red hair and even more peculiar, red eyes. I smell the air and a strange scent hits me. I definitely smell a wolf but I smell something else as well. Something intoxicating. Both coming from this man.

"You don't deserve to be Alpha " He says to me. I shift out of my wolf and pick up the shorts my wolf was carrying in his mouth and pull them on walking further into the compound.

"Who the fuck are you?" I growl. I try my mate link again and this time, I feel my mate stir.

Rosalie, are you ok? I ask.

The bastard knocked me out. But am ok. I can move.

I see red when she says this. My eyes glaze over with rage, turning obsidian. No one touches my mate.

"Only the strongest can be Alpha. And that's not you!" He says ignoring my question. This enraged me more.

"I asked you a question" I growl.

"You're asking the wrong question Jason. The question should be, what have I done to your pack?" He smiles.

"To save us all this chit chat, let's just say I took care of them. All of them." He adds. I freeze.  They can't be dead. He couldn't have possibly!  But he laughs harder as if he can read my mind.

"Don't worry, they're not dead. After all, I can't be an Alpha without a pack." He says. I can't breathe a sigh of relief that my pack is alive as his words sink in. He us challenging me for Alpha. It's unheard of. Alphas have always been born... chosen by the moon goddess.

But when he steps further into the light, I am able to see his shaddow again. The wings are unmistakable. But when I look back at him, he has none. And for the first time in my life, I taste fear in my mouth. I have no idea what am dealing with.

They say that when a person is close to death, the usually feel it. And in that moment, for some reason, I know am not going to make it out alive. The asshole smiles as this realization hits me. Almost as if he can read my mind.

Rosalie, I need you to take Luca and run. Take Straus with you.

What? No! I won't leave you here alone. She objects. The stubborn woman. Am trying to save her. Why can't she do what she's told?

Honey, you need to leave and keep Luca safe. Take Straus so he can protect you while am not around. I'll come for you when it's safe.
Straus is my Beta and I know i can trust him to protect them.