21. When the Wolf Visits

RE-READERS, I LOVE YOU GUYS BUT PLEASE DO NOT POST SPOILERS IN THE COMMENTS OF THE EARLIER CHAPTERS OR ON MY MESSAGE BOARD. ITS NOT FAIR TO THE NEW READERS AND I DON'T APPRECIATE IT! ALL SPOILERS WILL BE DELETED!

Dedicated to jyottii for your wonderful and ever-present support. Thank you!

The incredible banner above was made by Ronika001. Thank you!

WARNING: Mild intimate content in this chapter! Nothing major at all, but my younger readers as well as those who are uncomfortable with some intimate content can skip the parts between *~*~* and *~*~*

PLEASE DO NOT COPY MY WORK!

This chapter is unedited so please excuse the grammatical errors. Enjoy!

____

Suzzanah's POV

For a couple seconds after Alpha Penson broke the news, the room remained deathly silent. So silent that even I, with my measly human ears, could hear the sound of certain very evident heartbeats.

Or should I say drum-rolls?

The news was new to Cole and the General too, but their initial shock was quickly overtaken by dread about how their King was going to react to the fact.

All eyes were on Zuerien, watching him with tense and apprehensive gazes as though expecting him to spring out of his seat and set off on a wild rampage any minute now. God knew he was capable of doing so.

But very surprisingly, there were no explosions, nothing went up in flames and no one died.

Zuerien remained strikingly composed, his face giving nothing away. And somehow, in ways that I couldn't really explain, this reaction was actually worse.

Once the news had sunk in, his dark eyes moved very calmly- too calmly- from Alpha Penson to me. I bit my lip anxiously as I looked at his stern face, mentally preparing myself to 'octopus-wrap' myself around him using all four limbs if necessary, to keep him from going berserk.

But after spending a few seconds drinking in my appearance, his eyes returned to Alpha Penson. And though his expression was blank, his eyes held so much fiery intensity that I was surprised Alpha Penson hadn't melted into a puddle of molten rock.

And he said but one word.

"Explain"

My body immediately reacted to his deeper, rougher voice, skin prickling and tingling involuntarily. And I knew at that very instant that we were walking on thin ice right now.

Alpha Penson nodded and told him and the others everything he had told me and Rino in the library earlier today - about me having unknowingly given Karina a fragment of my soul in order to ensure her existence, and about how it was now interfering with my ability to mindlink anyone but Zuerien because of Karina's mental block. He also told them about this probably not being the first time something like that had happened with my soul.

Cole looked absolutely horrified and even the General had visibly tensed, but Zuerien still remained terrifyingly calm.

"So right now Karina has a part of Suzzanah's soul which may or may not end up giving her some of Suzzanah's abilities, in addition to her own as the Luna of Hearts?" Cole said shocked.