DC, Attempt Two, Ch. 1

I

I woke with a start, sitting up quickly, my corset squeezing my ribs. My head began spinning, as I tried to focus on my surroundings. Where was I? Nothing looked familiar as I tried to gain my bearings. As soon as my head stopped spinning violently, I slowly stood up, adjusting the gown I had been in the night before.

Suddenly, every subtle difference about my surroundings changed drastically. The sky was tinted green, and the plants had a purple hue to them. Instead of the sun, there were two brilliant spheres overhead. I could feel myself slowly take in the differences, shock coursing through my veins. I was nowhere near home. I didn't even think I was on Earth anymore.

As the shock faded, panic took its place. I analyzed the small clearing I was in, taking in every detail. A large, ancient tree was at my back, a few smaller trees dotting the edges of the clearing. Past them, the forest became dense with trees, bushes, and other types of foliage. The trees twisted toward the sky in ornate swirls, leaves broad and smooth.

The grass was tall and soft, like a cloak enveloping the ground, with small purple flowers dotted throughout the clearing.
I began brushing off my dress as well as I could, the fabric wrinkled and dirty. I unpinned my hair, letting it fall down to my shoulders. I could tell it was matted and just as dirty as my dress.

I tried to loosen my dress and corset to no avail, the ties in the middle of my back and impossible to be untied without help. I internally groaned. Mother couldn't make it easy for me, could she. Even here, wherever here was, she can still control my life.

I grabbed both sides of my dress, gripping the layers of fabric and lifting it up so I could walk. On my third step, I heard a twig snap from somewhere behind me. I froze, eyes wide. I slowly turned around to see a large figure standing in the shadows. I didn't have enough time to think, so I ran.

I usually don't condone running in heeled boots or large gowns, but I didn't have a choice. I sprinted as fast as I could, considering the circumstances, doging the trees and underbrush. The forest became denser, making it harder to maneuver in, making me slow down.

My dress snagged on a bush, a prominent ripping sound ringing in the air. I cursed, frantically trying to pull it free, glancing behind me in a panic. Finally I pulled it free, running into a tall, cloaked figure. I could see silver eyes beneath the hood, causing me to scream, nearly falling backwards. The figure took its eyes off of me, glancing behind me. before disappearing back into the shaddows.

A twig snapped behind me, causing me to spin around. I froze at the sight of my attacker, unable to move. He easily cupped a hand over my mouth, keeping me from screaming. He stared down at me with midnight black eyes, nearly as dark as his hair.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he said slowly. "I'm going to lift my hand, just don't scream."

As he began lifting his hand off of my mouth, the shock of his strange appearance shifted back into fear. This man, this creature, was just like the demons mother had been obsessed with. I had to get away.

Once his hand was off of my mouth, I immediately kicked his shin, elbowing his chest, grabbing the sword at his waist and pointing the tip of the blade at his throat.

"Shast, la re yn vei." He cursed, putting his hands up, and stepping backwards, away from the weapon at his throat. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"I don't believe you, demon." I growled, pressing him against a tree and letting the tip of his blade touch his skin. "What do you want with me? I demand you take me back home!"

"Parenthian, not a demon." He groaned, maintaining eye contact and dropping his hands to his sides. "If it was that easy to take you back, I would, but we don't know why you were brought here, let alone how to take you back."

"Stop telling me lies!" I yelled, my voice cracking at the thought of never being able to get back home. I pressed the blade farther into his neck, causing him to close his eyes. A small drop of blood ran from his neck, making me immediately pull the blade back. His blood was red. Like human blood.

His eyes shot open in confusion, studying my body language. Did he think I was going to kill him? Was I going to kill him? I could feel a lump forming in my throat, all anger disappearing and turning into guilt and fear, causing me to nearly drop the sword before running again.

Every step felt like my corset was getting tighter; my eyes burning with tears, though I couldn't tell if it was from the pain or from the guilt. Eventually, I slowed down and stopped weaving through the trees, hoping I'd lost him if he had been following me.

I leaned my back against a tree, slowly sliding down to the ground. I once again attempted to untie my dress to give my ribs a rest, but it was still impossible to reach. I closed my eyes, leaning my head back.

"Hello." A quiet voice said, causing me bolt upright, my hand grasping my stolen sword. "Oh, I didn't mean to startle you."

A petite woman was standing in front of me, a basket filled with ferns and herbs. I immediately looked at her eyes, a stormy grey color contrary to the odd colors of the others I'd seen before. The woman held her hand out for me, giving me a polite smile.

"What are you doing all the way out here?" She asked, helping me up and dusting my dress off.

"I don't know." I admitted, gripping the sword tightly. She just chuckled and began walking away from me, motioning for me to follow her. I quickly got up, and began walking next to her.

"Why are you carying that barbaric thing? You don't seem like you are dressed for the occasion." She asked, motioning toward the sword. The trees began thinning, and I began seeing the outline of a small hut in another clearing. As we got closer, I saw a small garden to one side, containing many strange looking plants and a small pen with a few exotic looking birds in it.

"I was attacked." I said quietly, the pain of my corset becoming almost unbearable. I grimased in pain, and the woman seemed to notice.

"Corsets have never been my thing; I think they're unnecessary." She shook her head in disgust, leading me inside, setting the basket down, and began to untie my dress and corset. "How long have you been in this wretched thing?"

"Too long." I sighed, my body involuntary shuddering in the relief. I internally cursed at myself, knowing she must have noticed.

"My, my, where are my manners." She chuckled, putting off any indicators that she might have noticed. "My name is Savanah."

"Madlynn." I gave her a fake smile. The eerie calm fading away, my mind racing once again. "Thank you for loosening my dress, but I really should be going."

"I lost her." The man with the dark eyes walked in, sounding defeated. I froze, my breath quickening and guilt skyrocketing. Our eyes locked as he made the connection that I was here. My mind was racing, the only reaction I could fathom was to run again, so I did.