DA, Attempt One, Prologue

Prologue: He's Alive

[Eighteen Years Earlier]

I sat above Zenan's body, still not believing his fate. Savanah and her sister Veronika had tried every potion and spell they could think of, with Percy's help, but nothing had worked. Zenan had officially been dead now for two days.

"You shouldn't have had to die. It shouldn't have ended like this." I cried into his stiff, cold chest. I could feel Blake hovering in the doorway, not sure what to do. He finally left after a moment, knowing I needed a moment alone. I then whispered, "It should have been me, not you."

For the millionth time, I tried to reach Zenan's mind. It didn't work again, and I finally broke down completely. I've been in denial since Zenan said his last words to me and it hurt to finally accept he was really gone. I don't know why it hurt so bad.

The others were hurting too but I was hit the hardest. Savanah, Veronika, and Percy had been trying to revive Zenan and now they were getting ready for his funeral. Lucas was upset and wouldn't leave Ganter's side though, he seemed to accept his older brother was gone. And as for Rhiann, she had disappeared completely, unfazed. I was on my way to go check on her when I saw her disintegrate into black smoke. She was smiling like this was how she wanted it to turn out. Zenan was right. I think she was a Fury. And she did her job right, making it sure we couldn't correctly fulfill whatever we were supposed to.

I stood up, leaving Zenan's side to go talk to Blake and see how he was doing. I hadn't seen much of him since everything happened. He and Zenan were pretty close before me I guess.

All of a sudden, I heard a deep gasp behind me and I spun around, seeing Zenan sitting up catching his breath. I sighed, falling to my knees breaking down again. I was going crazy.

"Mads?" He asked, "Whats wrong?"

"He's dead. This is just your mind playing tricks on you." I told myself.

"Who's dead?" He sounded genuinely confused.

"You are." I told him, sobbing more. It hurt more admitting it out loud.

"I'm right here. I'm breathing aren't I?" He put a hand on my shoulder. I felt the electric sensation I never thought I'd feel again. My head spun to look at him. I felt his hand, then slowly felt up his arm until I reached his cheek. When my hand didn't go through him, I pulled him to the floor, hugging him tightly.

"Your not dead."I whispered, more to myself than to him.

"Mads? You ok sis?" Blake popped his head in the doorway then froze at the sight of Zenan. "You see him too, right?"

"Hes alive."

"I'm going to go get the others." Blake stated before sprinting out of the room.

....

"How is he alive?" Lucas asked. "I'm not trying to be rude because I'm thrilled he is, but how is he back when he was dead this morning?"

"Well, we figure that the magic had a delayed effect on him, taking it a day or two to completely revive him." Percy explained.

"You were right about Rhiann." I whispered to Zenan. I hadn't left his side since I knew he was really alive.

"How?"

"Shes a fury. I saw her turn into black smoke after you died."

"Huh. Weird."

"Whatcha talking about?" Blake asked getting in our faces.

"Nothing important." I smiled up at him. He scowled back but left us alone. After the shock of Zenan being alive wore off everyone, things went back to normal. That left me and Zenan alone.

"Madlynn," Zenan grasped my hand, bending down toward the ground. "Will you give me a chance to show you I can do this right? Will you give us a chance?"

I stared at him in shock, speechless.

"I mean, I'm not dead anymore and seeing how much you were hurting without me, I figured you felt the same way I do. We're supposed to be together anyways, so why not just complete our destiny?" He chuckled nervously. I couldnt do anything but nod and hug him. Now this was a better ending.