Shortlist Example Entry [CLOSED]

Whatpad Name: xXPersevereXx 

Tittle: The Monster in Me

Genera(s): Supernatural, Teen-fiction

Personal Message to the audinece:

I can't believe I've made the shortlist, it is truely an honnor! It would mean so much if you guys click that star on the top right coner and vote for my story. I love to write and it is you guys that keep me movivated to finish my story, so thank you <3 

Synopsis: 

Claire Golding, at the age of thirteen, has lost everything that once mattered to her. Living in a small town called Redhill, an unforeseen fire burned her family’s house to the ground and took her parents lives along with it. Both, Claire and her sister Lilly awaken in hospital the following day; saved by a dark and unfamiliar figure. 

As the hospital became dead silent, Claire’s vision began to fade at the loss of her parents. She saw rose petals being plucked from its core and a part of her died with them. Subsequently, she noticed a burning sensation on her right arm and persona of a rose appeared causing her to unwind.

However, it’s not as dry cut as it sounds. This moment will mark the change in history, where a human meets the powers of the supernatural and learns the power of a rose. The only question is will see keep her monster at bay and discover the secrets Redhill has to offer?

Read and uncover the mysteries of Redhill; you’re in for an astonishing ride!

Prologue: 

I am extremely fascinated with roses and every time I see one, I pull out my sketchbook and I start drawing. I can see every curve and shape it makes as it comes up out of the ground. Each petal softly lies on top of the other, in the form of a spiral enchanting your eyes. Its beauty can never be compared to, as a rose is shaped to perfection. But even perfection and beauty can be deceiving; it can draw you in and put a thorn in your side when you least expect it. To Lucinda, my foster mother, I am a thorn in her side and I don’t quite understand why, I can only contemplate.

One thing I do know is that Lucinda will have it out with me today; I haven’t been myself lately and I do admit it, I have been missing school. Nevertheless, I was only doing it to get a job and find a place to live so that I could take care of my younger sister, Lilly. I will be turning eighteen soon and I am planning on taking Lilly with me. We have been through a lot but at least at the end of the day we have each other. It wasn’t always that way; the truth is that on February 10th 2009 there was a fire.

All I can remember from that day is being trapped in the back room of my house, with Lilly. The door had been jammed shut from the other side and there were no windows to escape from. I was banging on the door yelling to be let out but no one came. I took Lilly’s hand and ran to the back of the room where I held her so close that we could almost hear each other’s heartbeat. She was only three at the time but her heart was racing and there was nothing I could do to calm her down.

The thick black smoke started to creep through the cracks of door and dominated the room in one fell swoop. My eyes started stinging in pain while I tried to keep my gaze on Lilly who was slowly fading into the darkness. The one thing that kept me from going insane was that she was holding my hand so tight that it was sending a tingle up my arms and to the rest of my body. If I was going to die I want nothing more than to be next to Lilly.

In the corner of my eye I saw a black figure that appeared from the smoke reaching down and grabbing us but at that moment the darkness had already taken me.

The next day I woke up in hospital with Lilly by my side and that’s when the nurse told me that my parents were dead. I got off the hospital bed, dressed in patient gown, making my way towards the mirror. I looked ingenuously at my reflection as rage started to build up inside me; until all I could see was red.

I started to make a fist in my right hand digging my nails into my palm. All I could think about were my parent’s unfair death and how helpless I was; in seconds the mirror shattered to the ground leaving behind a few pieces of my reflection. I looked down at my fist watching the blood trickle down from hand to the floor.

The place was dead silent as the nurses came rushing in and attempting to get a response by directing me towards the bed. I would have responded but as the rage grew my vision faded, to a point where all I could see were rose petal being plucked from its core and a part of me died with it. That is when I noticed a burning sensation on my right arm and image of a rose appeared causing me relax as the nurses brought me back into the moment.

>>>Click the external link on the right hand side to take you to the full story<<<

Panel Comments: 

Beckyking87: [Insert their comment here]

ThirteenthChild: [Insert their comment here]

cookiesandteawithme: [Insert their comment here]

viogirl9: [Insert their comment here]