4. Gold: The Fear List by shanrae93

Whatpad Name: shanrae93

Tittle: The Fear List

Genera(s): Romance, Teen Fiction

Personal Message to the audience:

I am so happy that I got shortlisted, it means a lot. I really want readers to enjoy my work, but that means getting my story out there. I would be really grateful if you could check out my story and vote on this page if you liked it. Help me win to get my story noticed!

Synopsis: 

Sometimes, a mistake is all it takes...

Shy girl Molly and bad boy Ren live in two separate worlds. She lives precariously, avoiding mistakes that haunt her past, while he flaunts the rules and lives on the edge. What happens when a bet causes their worlds to collide?

Can Molly let go of her fears one by one and accept Ren, or will her past fears repeat themselves again? And will Ren live up to the bet or will he realize there's more to Molly than he thinks?

Prologue: Molly's POV

A fresh chilling wave hits my bare face for the second time. The unknown pressure forces my frail body deeper and deeper into the clear cerulean ocean until I am completely submerged. I wonder how I came to be here when it seemed like only moments ago I was safely tucked away in bed. The warmth on my body from being under the covers for hours is gradually starting to drain. The chill of the water makes me alert and awake from any drowsiness that I may have had.

The fact that I can see my distant surroundings under the water tells me that it must be early morning. The blinding sun gleams, sending trickles of bright light through the steadily flowing waves, although as the air in my lungs becomes scarce the waves that engulf me are in an instant considerably more aggressive. They are darker and become beaded with white froth as I frantically claw at the water, blocking my vision of the environment momentarily.

My pajamas feel heavy under the water, pulling me further down towards the deep, dark unknown. The density of the water is intolerable on my feeble body. It's almost bone crushing as it lashes across my skin, stinging it in the process. Little do I know that my feet have been in reach of the sea floor this whole time? I thought I had been pulled further out when I lost my sight. I must be close to shore; while my vision is still to some extent impaired I am not completely consumed by darkness, as I would be if I were at a deeper depth. I should be able to stand and get my head above water, yet there is still this force, this pressure that is keeping me from doing so.

I feel my arms and legs getting heavier as they grow tired from the burden of struggling to break free from the waves above me. I catch a glimpse of the red marks that are on my arms. Where did they come from? I hadn't noticed them before now. They seem faded, not like a cut or abrasion but rather a bruise or a mark that would be left from the forceful weight of a hand.

The heaviness holding me down slowly releases yet still I stay utterly immersed. My body appears to have given up its battle with reaching the surface. Now that my wild movements have slackened the waves are tranquil for a second time and I am capable of taking in what lies before me.

 My water-logged eyes gaze from one place to another, taking in the unknown, immense realm. The rocky sea bed travels for miles, each grain of sand or rock placed almost beautifully. Yet their beauty is the very thing that hides their malicious sharp edges that abrade my small bare feet.

The peaceful sensation rapidly fades again as my throat and lungs start to burn as I struggle to gather the last of my breath. Black spots appear within my vision as my heart pounds, constricting from lack of air flow. The sounds of the crashing waves mutes all other sound but bit by bit a piercing shrill starts to overtake. It's like the world has stopped and it's just me in this place. A place that has changed from crashing waves and panic to a still and tranquil atmosphere. My whole body feels weightless and a bright light overwhelms me.

I see my younger self before me. This was the day of my 7th birthday. My mom, dad and me were standing around a cake that mom had spent all day baking in our small old fashioned kitchen. We couldn't afford those cakes, you know the ones that were big and expensive like what other kids had on their birthdays.

They were both looking down at me with huge smiles on their faces. Sometimes I used to think these smiles were forged. I don't know why. Was it just the tick in my dad's unshaven cheek or the fact that there was a non-existent light in my mom's dull green eyes that once was there a long time ago?

I remember that day being one of my best birthdays. Every year after that it was just like a normal day. I really don't know why this was the last time. I think it was when everything started to change.

>>>Click the external link on the right hand side to take you to the full story<<<

Panel Comments: 

Beckyking87: “A page turning, captivating story; very creative.”

ThirteenthChild: “The title and cover really drew my eye, and even though it's a sort of 'bad boy' story, I like how she makes a new idea with it.”

cookiesandteawithme: “a little bit cliche and not my favorite type of writing style as you see a lot of it on wattpad however was enjoyable to read.”

viogirl9: “Great start and pulled me in from the beginning. I also thought the title to be quite creative.”