Apologies will Never Grow Old

The rest of the evening went by quietly. Your entire family ate at the dinner table and they did so in absolute silence, Kylo didn't even so much as look at you or the kids while he ate. It was very awkward, and you especially felt bad for your children since they admired Kylo so much. Afterword you collected up all of the dishes and placed them in the sink to be done the next day. You wanted to spend time with your children since Kylo seemed contented enough with just sitting on the couch watching TV all evening, the kids ignoring him and staying close to you all night light. The only exception was Griffin who opted to spend time alone in his room, likely speaking to that helmet that you desperately did not want in his room.

So you and twins hung out in your bedroom, Kaia sat on her tummy on your bed coloring while you read Kaiser a story out of his storybook from the General.

"Once upon a time, there was a family of mockingbirds." You started, Kaiser oohed and aahed as you turned the pages to showcase the illustrations. "A mommy mockingbird and a daddy mockingbird lived happily together in a birds nest they built together, high up in a tree away from everybody else.

"One day, mommy mockingbird surprised daddy mockingbird with a nest full of four eggs, the mockingbirds were about to become parent mockingbirds! Mommy mockingbird spent all of her time sitting on top of the baby bird eggs, daddy mockingbird spent all of his time fetching small insects, berries, and seeds for mommy mockingbird, taking care of her until one day, mommy mockingbird felt the eggs move about under her. When she stood she found that all four eggs had hatched and they were now happy, healthy, little birds."

"Like us mommy!" Kaiser shouted, looking at you happily. "Look, see? There's Griffin, there's me, and there's Kaia!" He pointed to each brand new baby bird but seemed to be stumped about the 4th. "Mommy, are you gonna have another baby bird?" Your voice had hitched in your throat, had you been drinking something you would have definitely spit it out. "No, baby." You said, allowing yourself to giggle at his innocent question. You had told Kylo that you absolutely would not be giving him any more children after giving birth to two children at one time. You continued the story, painting the picture of mommy bird and daddy bird to Kaiser once again.

"Mommy and daddy mockingbird loved their baby birds, loving all of them and dedicating all of their time to taking care of them. Even when they were loud, even when they were disruptive, and even when they were sick. Mommy and daddy mockingbird never let a day go by without telling their baby birds they loved them.

"One day, while mommy and daddy mockingbird were out picking up food for their baby birds, a fat, greedy, orange cat climbed up the tree to the mockingbird family nest. He had been watching the mockingbird family since they had first built their nest high up in the tree, and he knew the baby birds would be the easiest to snatch up and eat! The baby birds chirped and chirped as loud as they could! The fat orange cat was getting closer and closer, and the baby birds had nowhere to run!

"However, daddy mockingbird was close by and heard the baby bird's cries for help. He alerted mommy mockingbird and the two of them flew in to save the day, scaring the fat orange cat back down the tree and away from their family. The baby birds were afraid and happy to see their parents, that night they hugged each other tight, mommy and daddy mockingbird apologized to the baby birds and vowed to never to leave them alone again.

"Mommy mockingbird told daddy mockingbird that night that she wanted to move away. Every day she looked down out of the nest and saw the fat orange cat staring at her and her family. It scared her, she worried for her baby birds. Daddy mockingbird told her no, that they had worked so hard to build their nest and they loved the tree they lived in. It provided them shelter from the rain and shade from the sun, daddy mockingbird just didn't want to move! Mommy mockingbird yelled and yelled and yelled at him, she worried for her families safety and didn't want to risk the fat orange cat climbing back up the tree to harm them. Daddy mockingbird still said no, and mommy mockingbird was so sad."