A Mutiny

You and Ren sat at the dinner table eating in complete silence. This is how you spent a lot of your meals together nowadays, only this evening was different. You wanted to jump across the table and tell Kylo what the storm trooper told you that evening, to hold him by the collar and beg him to find the man and tell him where your kids were, but you couldn't. The man had told you to keep it quiet, and really you had no reason to believe he knew anything about your kids. For all you knew he could be one of the people Kylo had warned you about, one of the people who snatched your children up and was now luring you into a trap to take you too. Kylo would be devastated, but you felt like you had no other choice. Nobody else was helping you, no leads were being uncovered and it seemed like the hunt for your children had come to a stand-still. So what if this man turned out to be full of shit? You could take care of yourself, you could scream, kick, and fight your way out of trouble if it meant you'd have the smallest opportunity to find your kids. Besides, Kylo had connected to your mind more than once now, you could call out to him for help if you really needed it.

But for now, you ate the chicken you had cooked in silence. You didn't want to tip Kylo off and ruin the entire thing. You kept quiet, not even thinking about what transpired earlier that day. Your silence meant you were taking the hunt for your kids into your own hands, and nobody, not even Kylo, would be able to stop you.

"So how was your day?" Kylo abruptly broke the silence, placing the prongs of his fork in a strip of his chicken and looking up at you. He looked engaged, like he was genuinely interested in what you had gotten yourself into while he was away. It had been over a month since Ren had asked you how your day had gone, you were surprised at how much better his inquiry had made you feel. A small smile broke out over your face, it was as if you were transported back to your first days with him on Star Killer. The way he had kissed you after taking care of you during your period, when you realized Kylo could be lovable if he really tried. You had gone 32 days without feeling even a shard of love from your husband, but now this small interest in your day from him had ignited that ember of love into a flame.

"Good." You said, looking him in his eyes. His face held interest in your response, his eyes bore into yours and it felt so good. "What floors did you explore today? The top four?" Your cheeks blushed as your smile grew, you hadn't told Kylo at all about your exploration of the base. You wondered how he knew, had he looked into your mind? Seen you on the cameras? Had someone told him they saw you going out all the time? Suddenly you got nervous, did this mean he knew about you and Hux too?

"No, next one down. Five through seven." You happily took some of your spinach onto your fork and stuck it into your mouth. This was the happiest you had been in 32 days, you just wished Kylo could make you feel this good every day.

"I see you, you know." He said, looking down into his plate and cutting up his chicken. "On the cameras. I watch you as you walk around. It's the only thing that keeps me positive during the day. You know? I may not have my kids but at least I still have my beautiful wife." A lump grew in your throat before you could even begin worrying about if Kylo had watched you go to Hux's home, that was probably the nicest, most thoughtful thing he had ever said to you since your kids had disappeared. Although his admission should have sounded creepy, the idea of someone watching you at all times of the day should have worried you, but to know that just watching you exist made Ren feel better during this troubling time negated such bad feelings. You worried about him, he was never the most stable man and you knew the loss of his children was likely tearing him apart from the inside out. Sure you were feeling the same heartache, but you knew that Ren was likely suffering far more than you were.

"I understand, Kylo." You said, smiling down at your food. Kylo began eating once again and you felt sorely disappointed that the conversation ended when you were just starting to feel appreciated. "How was your day?" You asked quite enthusiastically. You were hoping the question would perk him up just as much as it did you, it was the only thing you had to do so. He shrugged, then simply told you that his day was 'the same.' The smile slowly faded off of your face, Kylo obviously did not want to put as much effort into his response as you did yours. You flashed him one more sad smile before looking back down to your plate. The only thing you could think of while chewing the last of your chicken was about how great the feeling of being loved had lasted before Kylo killed it.