6. HOME

With a quick scan of your hand, you opened the door to your apartment.

Among everything else, you had nearly forgotten about your tiny home in the heart of downtown Detroit. It was a small sized apartment, perfect for you and your plants - which were definitely dead now. It was a house covered in your favorite colors, strange small collections, and your personality.

Hank had insisted that you return home before setting out for GOR - saying that you should tell your family where you were, and to get fresh clothes - muttering under his breath about finally returning Connor's jacket because he felt Connor looked 'less goofy' with it on.

"Stay behind me." Connor's voice was sharp and his LED red.

"Whats-" You looked inside the door and immediately understood his alarm.

Your apartment had been destroyed.

Connor kept you back with his arm as he slowly walked in.

Everything you owned had been either been trashed, mutilated or broken - heads were cut off of your stuffed animals, your clothes had been shredded - even your plants looked as if they had been set onfire.

You stood in absolute shock.

"It's clear." Connor came to join you before making a quick call "Hank? Her apartment has been infiltrated, likely by GOR." He walked over to the window where Hank's parked car was visible "Yes. I will assist in helping recover as much as possible, and if it's not too much I will send over her measurements as she will be needing clothing."

"I guess I should have known." You finally managed to say, crouching to examine the glass of your favorite, now shattered teacup - ignoring the fact that Connor knew your measurements.

"Although unfortunate, I'm glad you've been with us. I would hate to know what would have happened otherwise." Connor lightly rested his hand on your shoulder "Is there anything I can do?"

You looked around at your home which now resembled a garbage dump, "Maybe look for anything not totally destroyed?"

Connor gave an enthusiastic nod "Got it."

The two of you began recklessly digging through the wreckage; you in the kitchen while Connor explored the remnants of your room. The sound of shuffling and sorting echoed throughout.

"I am curious to know your state of mind." Connor shouted from across the apartment.

Your interest was piqued "What do you mean by that?"

"As Hank drove, it occurred to me that there was a small chance that GOR would have come here looking for you. I had prepared new methods of comforting you, but it appears as if you do not need it."

"I am pretty shocked right now, I think." you mumbled as you heard Connor's footsteps approaching.

"You think?"

You wanted to cry, you wanted to scream. It felt like your world had fallen apart, but you wanted Connor to think you were strong.

You looked up to see his brown eyes staring at you as he held up a photo.

"This is my first time seeing a physical picture before. It is quite fascinating. What exactly is it a picture of?"

You smiled warmly as you gazed across the familiar sight "That's my family."

"That's a large family." Connor's eyebrows were raised in awe.

"I was an orphan," you pointed to the picture "that's me, there."