8. FAMILY

It had been awhile since you last visited a hospital.

It was no different than anywhere else in Detroit; the blue glow of Cyberlife armbands cast itself over each and every inch of the facility. You watched nurses walk past, human-like in every aspect other than the blinking light on their temples.

Could GOR have been one of these emotionless faces that had passed you at some point?

What could have happened to make GOR into what he is now?

You wished you knew the answer.

"Come back in a week and we'll take these stitches out for you." One of the nurses tended to your hand. From the illuminated font on her uniform you could see that her name was Mary.

Anxiety had dug itself into your chest ever since you left the ambulance. That was the last time you saw Hank - and he was still unconscious. You remembered how Connor's brow furrowed when you made him follow the Lieutenant.

"Which room could I find Hank Anderson in?"

One, two and then three laps of light spun on her LED.

"Mr. Anderson is in room 782."

"Thanks-" You sprung up from the examination bed to feel Mary's taut grip sit you down again.

"You have a minor concussion," The nurse's voice was sweet but firm "I will call your companion to take you by wheelchair."

"Companion?"

Even though you asked the question, there was only one person it could be.

Connor walked into the room. He was dishevelled - missing tie, shirt slightly unbuttoned and slightly untucked. His jeans still wore traces of mud from when he held you and Hank.

His fingers ran through his already tousled hair "How are you feeling?"

You felt goosebumps rise at the unfamiliar tone in his voice - it was different, raw, uninhibited.

"I'm okay." You smiled, ignoring the dizzying pain radiating from your jaw.

"Are you ready to go see Hank?" Connor hugged his arm around your waist, while wrapping his other under the crooks of your knees. You felt the bed leave you as he stood upright.

"Connor?" Your surprise was clear.

Mary rolled out a wheelchair from the corner of the room, letting Connor deposit you in it.

"I could carry you the whole way," He raised an eyebrow "but I believe a wheelchair is much more appropriate."

"Right," You sighed, feeling disoriented by the comforting touch.

The feeling of steel against your head, the way GOR whispered to you, the mangled android, Connor's broken voice as he hugged Hank - was it all just a nightmare?

You found the answer in the aching of your hand.

Connor pushed you out of the room, rolling you to the elevator. He lit up the '7' button with a quick press.

"Are you okay?" Your voice broke the insensate hum of the hospital music.

His LED slowly turned yellow "Am I okay? I didn't get hurt, you and Hank did."

"You were upset."

"I'm still trying to diagnose that."

"I mean," you gulped, turning to look back at him "did you become-"

Connor placed a finger over your mouth, silencing you "Lets have this talk with Hank."

You resumed sitting forward, his touch lingering on your lips.