Part 27

It rained for the next few days. Bridged loved the rain, but even she was getting tired of it. She was just glad that it was a warm rain. The grass remained tall and the trees kept getting taller. They were nowhere near as tall as the trees they were used to seeing, but it brought a sense of comfort to them to be able to walk underneath the branches.

Small hills began to form and gradually turned into small mountains. These were quite easy to climb, but they still left you breathless. The longer they traveled, the more the mountains grew. Soon they could see snow at the tops of some of the mountains.

"What's that white stuff?"

Arnold grinned cheekily as he threw his arm around Nakira's shoulder. "That's snow. It's like water, but fluffy, white, and cold. We won't go up there because we are not dressed right. We'd die before we managed to cross."

"Do you have this stuff in your world?"

Youthful laughter escaped Bridged. "There are places on our world where it's snowy all year round and then other areas get no snow. Arnold and I grew up in areas with snow during part of the year."

"We must be getting close," Naknaki commented.

Arnold shrugged. "We could be, but we must keep going. We'll know when we find a cavern. I'm guessing that there will be a lot of caves up ahead."

"Ooh. We can go spelunking!"

"What?" Everyone but Arnold said.

"It's cave exploring. It's a popular past time back home. There are caves at home that are so huge that you can fit the tallest buildings on Earth in them."

Arnold wiped water out of his eyes. "I think we should seek shelter. Those clouds up ahead don't look good."

Bridged agreed with Arnold. The clouds were black and angry looking like tornado clouds in Kansas.

"I think you're right. Let's go back to that small overhang we saw back there and seek shelter there."

Everyone mumbled in agreement before they headed a half mile back the way they'd come. They managed to find shelter just in time for hail to start falling. It looked like it was going to be a long cold night.