Part 33

"How are we to get back to our village? It took us far too many months to travel here. I do not believe that we can afford that much time traveling back."

The group of nine was standing surrounded by the warriors just inside the mouth of the grotto they had spent the night in. Naknaki was busy conversing to Jungka about the limited amount of time they had to get back. Jungka listened patiently and so did his mate, Renen, as well as all of the other warriors who encircled them.

Jungka shook his head. "We will not travel back the way you came. As soon as we step foot outside this cave, we will be within walking distance of your village."

Nakira blinked in surprise. "How is that even possible?"

Renen smiled fondly at Nakira. "Our ways used to be yours. You will find that we have much to teach your people. A lot of the old ways were forgotten when the agaothos daimon decided to live peacefully and not at war with each other."

"But we still war with each other." Nakira objected.

"All you do is feud with each other. Your fighting is now done with words and subtle actions. That was not always so."

Jungka spoke authoritatively once Renen was done speaking. "All we need the nine of you to do is to think of the place that we are going to. Tell us about this place with your thoughts. The more you can remember the better."

Naknaki nodded before he closed his eyes and inhaled sharply. Bridged gave Arnold a look filled with excitement. Arnold shook his head as a small smile spread across his face. He reached out and captured Bridged's hand in his. His thumb scrapped soothingly against her skin and he closed his eyes.

Bridged closed her and began imagining the place that they had left. She put as much thought as she could into it. Anything and everything that she could bring to mind she did.

Renen's clear voice spoke up softly so as not to startle them. "When you have the memories of your village lodged firmly in your mind open your eyes."

Bridged blinked her eyes open and saw that everyone else's eyes were open. Renen motioned to the opening of the grotto. "You must go first. We will follow you. Do not stop thinking about our target until I tell you to."

Naknaki led the way out of the grotto. Nakira followed with Kiena hot on her heels. The others filed out after them with Arnold and Bridged bringing up the rear.

The sight of a familiar forest met Bridged as she set foot outside of the grotto. Delight swell through her and Bridged couldn't stop the sigh of relief that escaped her. Nakira tossed a smile her way before she turned back and stared in front of her. Bridged closed her eyes so that she could keep imagining the village without being distracted by the forest.

"We are all through. You may now let go of the images in your mind."

Lenki wanted to evaluate everyone before they moved on. He wasn't satisfied till he saw that no one was suffering any harmful side effects from the magic they had used to travels who knows how many miles they had traversed in a matter of seconds.

Naknaki pointed to an area northwest of where they stood. "The village is half a day's journey that way. We are encamped by a lake with other villages scattered about us."

Jungka nodded. "We will travel as far as we can today. I prefer not entering your village till the next day. We will make camp at a place we find suitable for our needs. Until we reach your village, can you tell me what kind of weapons or armor you have?"

Naknaki began telling Jungka about the armor that Arnold had made for them and of using their tree hooks for weapons. Jungka asked endless questions. Bridged was soon tired of questions. If Jungka wasn't asking a question, then one of the other warriors were. Forty-five warriors could ask a lot of questions.

The questions finally ran out after camp was made and night was falling. Bridged lay sleepily in Arnold's arms as he spooned up behind her. She barely felt the kiss he pressed to her hair as she drifted off into an exhausted sleep.