Chapter 24

(A/N: Norman Reedus would be playing a character within the Saviors group named Alec.)
-:-:-:-:-:-

"What the fuck is that?" Charlie spat at her the next morning. He'd taken one look at her face and flipped out. Calvin and Kaito just smirked behind Charlie.

"It's just a bruise. I gotten myself blow over a Runner." She tried to explain, hoping to leave it alone.

Charlie wouldn't leave it. "You gotta be kiddin' with that explanation Mal. I know the damn difference between a wall and a fist. So, tell me. Us. Who. Did. It."

Mal refused to talk.

"Mal. Charlie's right-" Mal snorted in derision at Calvin's words, of course Charlie was right. "-you need to tell us what's going on." The arrogant smile made his day.

"Nothing is going on." Mal replied, growing more exasperated as the conversation continued. "Just a Runner caught me off guard at the moment, now can I go?"

"Boys, leave us alone for now. Tell commander Brutar and the Claimers the invitation, please?" Deciding to leave them to it, she mentally prepared herself for whatever Charlie was gonna say. What she didn't expect was for the man to drag his chair out from the desk and let Mal sit as he leans back at his desk. She frowned in confusion, not quite knowing what to do she stood awkwardly, this wasn't how things usually went.

Charlie's gaze pierced her own. "We gonna talk about this or what?"

Mal twitched awkwardly, she didn't want to talk with him. "I already said there's nothing to talk about."

Sniffing, Charlie said 'fine' and stood. He crossed over to Mal and began unzipping her jacket then unbuttoning the plaid over shirt. Mal's eyes focused on the door, the knob looked like it came closer to her, warning her she's coming back in there. She could feel knuckles brush her torso as they worked their way down the buttons. Not ideal, but almost better than the conversation that she didn't want to have. Mal felt his hands sweep up and slip it off her shoulders. She was surprised to hear a sharp inhale, and shifted her gaze to see what has elicited such a reaction. Charlie's gaze was focused on the new bruises that littered her body from the other day. She tensed, not quite sure what his reaction would be.

"Did the same guys of Glory fuckin' do this to you?" At the lack of response, he growled out "Mal."

Mal looked at him and mumbled "Claimers..."

"They never listen..." Charlie paced around, kicking the chair with such force it knocked it over. Mal's eyes followed him, body tensing just in case Charlie redirected that anger at her. Charlie stopped in front of her. "What are their names?"

"W-what?" She managed to sputter out.

"Their names Mal. Now."

"Why do you wanna know?" Mal asked defensively.

"So, I can go and have a fuckin' talk with them. What'd you think I wanna do?! No one touches my girl. NO ONE!" Charlie shouted at her.

Mal stood up, took a couple of steps back, eyes widening in fear. She couldn't let that happen. Things were bad enough without having to worry about groups stealing and getting beaten up.

Seeing the distressed look on her face Charlie softened. He stepped closer and placed gentle hands on Mal's face. They were so big against her delicate features, she was so fragile and weak Charlie thought to himself. "Mal, c'mon tell me." he pleaded with her. "I just wanna keep you safe. That's what the Tradepost is."

Mal couldn't make any sense of it. She didn't want Charlie being any more involved in her life to survive The Ruins. She didn't want this sick, protective and caring crap that he was spouting. Did the man not see that the only person who really hurt her was himself? Guess that's the whole dominance thing with Charlie. So, she lied. "Don't worry they went. I won't have to worry about them again."