Chapter 45

Mal leans back in the seat, looking around for anything to use. She had been ignore the petty chat from the wives chatting about themselves, their problems, and suggestive things about Negan, making Mal gag inside her throat, and when its their turn to be with him. So trying not to puke her stomach out, she concentrating how to escape. This is the right time now; Negan's gone, she mapped out the whole Sanctuary in every nick and corner of this place, and they are barely any guards following her around anymore.

She thinks hard on every decision she could make and how the outcome happens. The first one is to use the glass of bottles as a weapon, and these wives can't even fight or raise a hand to slap. She would slash and slice their throats quick, like cutting into butter. However, Negan could be back quick, finding Mal and the dead wives, and she gets killed by Ellie. Or the second thing that came up was when she kills them, and Negan didn't come back in time, she'll wait for him. Once he enters the room, she can knock him unconscious or kill him instantly. But, his men would find out and kill Mal as well.

All her ideas had their pros and cons. And each went badly and violent. She shakes off the violence she thought of escaping. She rather not become the monster again just to escape. These people don't deserve to die. Well, maybe Negan... or not.

Then an idea was forming in her head.

"Can I have something to drink?" Asked Mal. All the women turn themselves to face Mal.

"Do have any milk? Cause all I see is alcohol and I don't think Negan would like his guest to be drunk."

The women stared at her, unwilling to volunteer. Suddenly, Sarah came out of the bedroom, wearing a leather jacket. Mal's leather jacket. Her leather jacket. She boiled in fury as too why she wore it. It's not hers, and shouldn't even fit her.

"We don't have any milk in here, but we do have some. Come along." She said.

She followed Sarah into the cold hallway, her heels clicked from the concrete floor. She led her down straight and taking a right up to a room. Mal noticed that taking the left corner is the stairwell to the outside gate where she can run into the forest and go around the dam.

The room took them to what's a butcher place. Steel long table on the far right side, cupboards filled with different sets of knives. There was a self of canned food, rack of dishes, and cooking books. A deep freezer and a refrigerator were near the door that led to a cold storage where might likely be where the hanged carcasses of animals be.

Sarah brought a glass from the cupboard, opening the fridge, and suddenly stopped. "It's hard to believe what the Ruins can do to us mentally."

She puts the jug on the counter. Mal came up to her, leaning her hip on the counter, and stopped by what she caught up in the moment.

"The Ruins changed everyone," said Mal. "It just how the people change into someone they're not or better of who they are. Usually it's bad."

She nodded. "Yeah. When we heard about our people being killed, it was another tragic day. But when Negan came back and told everyone teenagers killed them. Teenagers."

At the mention of the boys, Sarah's eyes filled with tears, but her mouth tightened into a bitter line.

"I mean, how can innocent, small, vulnerable children do such horrible and drastic things." She shutters, clearing her throat as she wipes her eyes, trying not to rub her makeup.

Mal bites her lip, re-evaluating her. Seeing her with sympathy, wanting to actually tell her the truth. She wasn't sure why she tell her but you guess to relieve the grudge off.

"Those boys were treated very wrong," Mal explained. "I didn't want to go. Guess I had no choice. I wanted to leave."

Sarah's eyes lingered on Mal. "When we entered the building, I knew everything will go wrong. One moment that hit me so hard was how they killed a family and their... baby. I was the one who pulled the alarms. One, to get out, and two maybe let some of the Saviors escape. I know there's no right or wrongs in the Ruins, but whatever your decision is outcomes of your humanity. I always try my best to find the right way."