Prologue

From a young age I never really got how someone could want to kill such beautiful creatures. I knew that I had to and I didn't want to but I would still do it. I guess when a dragon that has set itself on fire is flying at you, you don't really pay attention to the way it glides on the wind or the way the scales seem to glow with the fire surrounding them. I guess it's logical to pay more attention to the danger rather than beauty. I myself have faced these beasts in ways I wish I didn't have to. At age nine I had to pick up a sword and choose between what I thought at the time was life and death.

FLASH BACK

The whole village was ignited, the sky lit up in a mix of reds, oranges, and yellows. I watched out the window as everyone fought.

"Y/n please come away from the window." My mother called from her bed. Her voice was strained and soft. You see mother has been sick for a few weeks and it only seemed to get worse so she has been resting in bed for awhile. She had fallen ill after my brother ,Akash, was killed awhile back. We had barley began to recover.

I hop of the ledge and walk up to her bed. Her eyes were slightly sunken in and she was sickly pale. Her normally bright eyes had lost the spark they usually held and instead held pain and the reflection of the glowing fire outside. I smiled at her and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before turning to watch my father come up the stairs.

"I gotta go. I've put it off for to long. I'll be back soon." He says with sorrow. My father wasn't someone who looked like he would show emotion and that was true up until mother grew sick. Father stood tall, his chest pressed out. His hair fell down his back in shiny waves. His beard was one that was wild and held little braids from when we would sit on the floor and just be care free.

My mother sighed from her bed and nodded. She hated when he joined in. 

"If you must. Just please come back safe, Magnor." My father came to the other side of the bed. He gave her frown and brought his hand up to cup her cheek. She leaned her head against the warmth of his large hand.

"Alva, I'll make it home soon. I wish I could stay but I can't protect you from inside." He sighed. He leaned down and pressed a quick kiss against her lips before turning to me. He smiled at me and messed up my hair. I smiled, showing off my missing tooth and let out a small giggle.

"I love you both. I'll be back soon." He said before turning and going downstairs. I followed a few seconds after. I don't know why but that night I decided I would see a dragon from up close. I followed after my father who went to the outside of the village to fight off the ones joining the fight.

A nadder flew at him to which he he jumped at it and stabbed in between it's eyes before dragging his sword down. It drops dead and he pulls the sword out before he twists and slices off one of the heads of a zippleback that was coming up from behind. The other head goes to strike but my father takes that head off too. He huffs a bit before going for another nadder. He doesn't notice the nightmare creeping up behind him as he stabs upwards.

"PAPA!" I scream as it sets itself on fire before sending it's claws through him. I scream as he stares at me before dropping his sword. I watch as he fades away. The nightmare drops him and backs up a little as I run through the flames towards my father's body. I let out chocked sobs and screams as tears cascade down my cheeks. I collapse to my knees and grab his hand.

"PAPA! PAPA PLEASE! PAPA!" I scream into the night as I shake his arm. I look up at the flaming nightmare with tears and flames in my own eyes. I  pick up my fallen father's sword and let out a battle cry before charging the beast. I slash at it, leaving a bleeding gash on its face and taking one of its eyes. I drop the sword as I stare the beast in its single eye. I've become no better than them. I hated the feeling of causing this creature harm. It may have taken my father away but hurting it will not bring him back. The creature is oddly calm. I just stare as I sob. I'm only brought out of the connection when I hear others approaching. I quickly swat and try to get it to fly away. It's flames stops but it doesn't move. I quickly begin to push it away.

"Please! Go! They'll kill you! Just go!" I yell at the creature. It barley moves before huffing and taking off into the night. I watch as it fades from view before collapsing back down to the floor. I crawl to my bloodied father and hold his head in my lap. I mean down and lay my forehead against his before placing a quick kiss on his. I hear the thump of feet against the earth and the clanking of weapons against shields. The fighting for tonight has stopped. I can hear the gasp as I cry onto my father. I hear footsteps come to my side.

"Y/n," Stoick says gently ", it's going to be alright." I scoff.

"No it's not. What' going to happen. Everyone's leaving me. First Akash is killed by the hands of someone he thought was a friend, my mother is extremely ill, and now my father is dead too. Don't tell me it's going to be alright when I don't know who I'll still have within the next few months, where I'll be, if I'll even live." I cry as I face the sorrow filled man. He nods before pulling me to him. I sob as he holds me. He scopes me up in his giant arms as he stands up. My eyelids grow heavy as he carries me towards my house, the sway lulling me to sleep.

I wake in my bed the next morning. It takes every thing in me to drag myself to the kitchen to make breakfast for my mother. I know she's not taking the news well. I make her a simple breakfast and bring it up to her.

She lays awake in bed, staring at the sheets that cover her legs. She stays silent as I set the meal on the nightstand beside the bed. She slowly looks at me before bursting into tears and pulling me to her. We spend the day crying together in bed.

Mother passed the following month. The sorrow had been to much on her frail body and left her unable to get up or eat.

Stoick had taken me in after that. He had another room built on the second floor, next to Hiccup's. Hiccup and I quickly became friends. We began to do everything together and never once did we regret that.

It's been 6 years since these events occurred and they still hurt but Hiccup is always here for me. Something tells me that our peace isn't going to last for long though.