Chapter 2

One day I'll get out there. Because killing a dragon is everything around here.

A Nadder head is sure to get me at least noticed. Gronckles are tough. Taking down one of those would definitely get me a girlfriend. A Zippelback? Exotic, exciting. Two heads, twice the status. And then there's the Monstrous Nightmare. Only the best Vikings go after those. They have this nasty habit of setting themselves on fire.

But the ultimate prize is the dragon no one has ever seen. We call it the--

"Night Fury! Get down!" Y/n and I both look around as a high pitched sound builds. All of a sudden a catapult explodes.

This thing never steals food, never shows itself, and never misses. No one has ever killed a Night Fury. That's why I'm going to be the first.

Y/n and I turn and look to Gobber who trades his hammer for and axe.

"Man the fort, Y/n, they need me out there!," he then gives me a threatening glare. ", Stay. Put. There. You know what I mean." He then let's out a battle cry and runs into the crowd. A smirk crosses my face as y/n sighs.

"Hiccup." She groans.

"Y/n." I mimick. She sticks her tongue out at me before giving in with a roll of the eyes.

Quickly we're running out into the night. I wheel my contraption through people before getting to a quiet place away from everyone else.

Y/n's POV

We stand there in front of a catapult, waiting for some sort of action

"Come on. Give me something to shoot at, give me something to shoot at." A screech hits our ears and we look around. It gets louder and you can see the darkness block the stars as it glides toward the catapult, ready to destroy it. A high pitched moan builds up before the beast blasts the catapult, destroying it in an explosion of purple and white. Hiccup blindly shoots, the strength sending him flying. The bola go flying before hitting the dragon, making it let out a moan. We watch as it crashes down near Raven's Point.

"Oh I hit it! Yes, I hit it! Did anybody see that?" We turn after hearing a low growl. A monstrous nightmare meets our vision. I make direct eye contact with it as Hiccup mumbles. He sets off running and screaming. I stay frozen as I get flash backs of years ago. The beast breaks eye contact and rushes past me, it's claw catching my side and knocking me to the floor. My head hits part of Hiccup's contraption before everything goes black.

Hiccup's POV

I scream as I hear the beast gaining on me from behind. I dodge the fire it shoots before fucking behind the base of a torch. It sends more fire at the base before Stoick comes around and begins to fight with it, delivering multiple punches and kicks before it took of.

Oh, and there's one more thing you need to know...

He turns and looks at the flaming base that crashes down, sending the top rolling down. He states at me with embarrassment and anger.

"Sorry, Dad."

We watch as dragons escape with several of our sheep. A crowd gathers around us, murmuring and awaiting my dad's responce.

"Okay, but I hit a Night Fury." I reply fastly. He grabs me by my collar and begins to haul me away fuming. As he begins to drag me along I try and talk to him about it.

"It's not like the last few times, Dad. I mean I really actually hit it. You guys were busy and I had a very clear shot. It went down, just off Raven Point. Let's get a search party out there, before it--"

"STOP! Just....stop. Every time you step outside, disaster follows. Can you not see that I have bigger problems? Winter's almost here and I have an entire village to feed!" He fumes. I try to tone down the argument.

"Between you and me, the village could do with a little less feeding, don't ya think?" A few people around us hold their stomachs self consciously.

"This isn't a joke, Hiccup! Why can't you follow the simplest orders?" He sighs.

"I can't stop myself. I see a dragon and I have to just... kill it, you know? It's who I am, Dad." I explain. He sighs and holds his head.

"You are many things, Hiccup. But a dragon killer is not one of them. Go get Y/n from Gobbers, where you are supposed to be, and go home." He sighs. I look behind me in confusion.

"Y/n came with me. We we're both running from the nightmare." I state hoping she'll emerge from the crowd.

"I only saw you Hiccup. Don't drag her into this." Dad sighs holding his head.

"No she was with me before we started running." Gobber follows me to back to where we started running. We find Y/n out cold on the floor next to my machine. Gobber sighs and picks her up, hauling her over his shoulder before we began to head back home. We pass Fishlegs, Ruffnut and Tuffnut, Snotlout, and Astrid.

"Quite the performance." Tuffnut laughs.

"I've never seen anyone mess up that badly. That helped!" Snotlout exclaims. Gobber grabs his head and shoves him away.

"Thank you, thank you. I was trying, so..."

We make our way up the hill to my house that stood out comapired to the rest.

"I really did hit one."

"Sure, Hiccup."

"He never listens."

"Well, it runs in the family."

"And when he does, it's always with this... disappointed scowl. Like someone skimped on the meat in his sandwich. Excuse me, barmaid. I'm afraid you brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms. Extra guts and glory on the side. This here. This is a talking fish bone." I imitate doing gestures and everything.

"You're thinking about this all wrong. It's not so much what you look like. It's what's inside that he can't stand." I stare at him with a dumb founded look.

"Thank you, for summing that up." I say taking Y/n from Gobbers arms.

"Look, the point is, stop trying so hard to be something you're not." I sigh

"I just want to be one of you guys."