Chapter 11

Hiccup sits at his work station, pushing his pencil. There's nothing to do so I decide to work on physical training. I do sit ups and push ups and do pull ups on the beam I put up that goes across the Hiccup and I's  suprisingly spacious closet in the blacksmith stall. Astrid has been pissing me off so I take my frustration and put it into being better than the annoying drama queen. I roll my eyes and scoff as I continue to pull my self up.

"35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40-"

"Dad! You're back! Gobber's not here, so..." I quickly sit down on a little stool in the corner, swinging my legs while watching Hiccup scramble to the cover his notes and drawings. Stoick pushes through the door that was to small for him.

"I know. I came looking for you." He says sounding extremely serious. My face drops. We're screwed.

"You did?" Hiccup closes his little notebook.

"You've been keeping secrets." His stern voice sends chills through my body.

"I-uh-i-i have?" Hiccup stutters out.

"Both of you have. Just how long did you think you two could hide it from me?" He says

"I-I-uh-I don't know what you're-" Stoick bangs on the table making is both flinch.

"Nothing happens on this island without me hearing about it." Hiccup tilts his head a bit with wide eyes.

"Oh?"

"So," Stoick walks foward. "Let's talk about that dragon." I feel like running away right now. Hiccup groans.

"Oh gods. Dad I'm so sorry. We were going to tell you. We just didn't know how to-" Stoick's laugh booms throughout the room. My mouth drops open as I look to Hiccup who looks at me in confusion. We both start to awkwardly laugh, going along with it.

"You're not...upset?" I ask.

"What?! I was hoping for this!" We both become even more confused.

"Uh...you were?"

"And believe me, it only gets better! Just wait til you spill a Nadder's guts for the first time. And mount your first Gronckle head on a spear. What a feeling!" Our faces drop. Stoick punches Hiccup in the arm sending him flying into the shelf behind him. He gets stuck in a basket.

"You guys really had me going there, son. All those years of the worst Vikings Berk has ever seen! Odin, it was rough. I almost gave up on you!" I sigh and walk up to Hiccup's desk, putting the papers in a neat stack as Stoick goes on.

"And all the while, you were holding out on me! Thor almighty! Ahhhhh. With you doing so well in the ring, we finally have something to talk about." Stoick says as he pulls the stool I was just sitting on closer to us. We both stare at eachother and then at the huge man on the tiny stool. It's weird for us. There's a pregnant pause as we just stand there. We try to find something to say but words just don't seem to want to come out of my mouth. He scoots a bit closer. His smile drops as we stay silent.

"Um it's nice to finally fit in I guess." I say looking down. Stoick smiles and pulls me into a bear hug, messing up my hair with his fist.

"Oh your parents would be so proud. I can guarantee they are looking down from Valhalla and smiling." I freeze a bit before smiling. Would they actually be smiling down at me for befriending dragons. I go back to stand next to Hiccup who Stoick looks at in excitement. It's another long pause before Stoick realises he's not gonna talk. He clears his throat and pulls out a helmet from his bag.

"Oh, I... brought you something. To keep you safe in the ring." He says handing it to Hiccup.

"Wow. Thanks." Hiccup says observing it. He runs his hand over the top.

"Your mother would've wanted you to have it. It's half of her breast plate." Hiccup immediately pulls his hand away in disgust. Stoick taps his own helmet.

"Matching set. Keeps her close, y'know? Wear it proudly. You deserve it. You've held up your end of the deal." Hiccup places it on the table. Stoick then looks to me and smiles.

"Oh and I got a little something for you to." He says pulling a helmet out of his bag and I small dagger with a holder. My eyes widen and begin to water.

"Alva would have wanted you to have it." He says as I toke the weapon and the hemet.

"Mom's helmet. She hadn't worn this since I was 7. And the dagger she stoped wearing when she became sick." I say staring at the things that reminded me of my past. A tear slip down my cheek as I look at the man who had taken me in. I hug him to which he squeezes me back. When i pull away he wipes a tear from my cheek before taking the helmet and placing it on my head. I smile as he stands back with his arms crossed.

"Just like your mother." I smile and wipe away the rest of my tears.

"Thank you Stoick." He nods before looking at Hiccup who smiles at me. He looks at his dad and soon it becomes awkward again. Hiccup takes a large yawn and stretch.

"I should really get to bed." Stoick and them have a little conversation as Stoick starts to hit things on accident.

"Yes! Good! Okay. Good talk. See you back at the house. We should do this again. I'm Great. Thanks for stopping glad I stopped by, I hope you by. And for the... the uh, like the hat. breast hat." Both sides jumble in my head before it goes silent for a moment.

"Well..uh..good night."