Chapter 1

Hiccup's POV

This, is Berk. It's twelve days North of hopeless, and a few degrees South of freezing to death. It's located solidly on the meridian of misery. My village. In a word, sturdy. And it's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new. We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problems are the pests. You see, most places have mice or mosquitos. We have...

"Hiccup!" I slam the door as a beast sends fire towards me.

Dragons.

I quickly open the door back up and make a break for it, my best friend following close behind.

Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have stubbornness issues. My name's Hiccup. Great name, I know. But it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that.

I get knocked to the floor as a Gronckle shoots fire nearby. The wind is knocked out of me sending me gasping for air as another Viking towers over me.

"Arggghhhhh! Mornin'!" A viking screaming in my face. I quickly get up and pull my friend through the crowd.

"What are you doing out!?"

"Get inside!"

"Get back inside!" I try to run past but a dragon shoots fire blocking me and giving a big, hairy man enough time to grab me. He picks me up and stares at the crowd.

"Hiccup!? What is he doing out again?! What are you doing out?! Get inside!" He yells. He tosses me back onto my feet.

That's Stoick the Vast. Chief of the tribe. They say that when he was a baby he popped a dragon's head clean off of its shoulders. Do I believe it?

Stoick picks up a nearby cart and launches it at a dragon flying by. The dragon goes down.

Yes I do.

"What have we got?" He asks

"Gronckles. Nadders. Zipplebacks. Oh, and Hoark saw a Monstrous Nightmare." A dragon sends a blast of fire, causing an explosion.

"Any Night Furies?" Stoick asks, brushing off the fire from his shoulder.

"None so far."

"Good."

We run past people putting up the torches and to Gobber.

"Ah! Nice of you to join the party. I thought you'd been carried off." He says reshaping some blades. We each throw on a leather apron and get to work.

"Who me? Nah, come on! I'm way too muscular for their taste. They wouldn't know what to do with all this." I state doing a little pose.

"They need toothpicks don't they?" Gobber replies making Y/n laugh.

The meathead with attitude and interchangeable hands is Gobber. I've been his apprentice ever since I was little. Well...littler.

Y/n and I start working on the tools.

"You sure all that muscle can handle these heavy weapons?" Y/n laughs as she sharpens a sword. The sparks coming off the sword light up her face

Y/n is my best friend of 6 years. She's fierce but kind, loud but gentle, adventurous but cautious. If she would kill a dragon she would have most of the teen male population wrapped around her finger. She can totally take on a dragon but chooses not to. Overall she's the best friend I could ever ask for.

"Uh yeah, I'm doing just fine here. You need help with any lifting?" I joke. She smirks and shakes her head as she goes to the counter and tosses the sword to a person passing by. She quickly begins to sharpen an axe while I lean out the stall. I watch as some people I knew began to douse houses with buckets of water.

Oh and that's Fishlegs, Snotlout. The twins Ruffnut and Tuffnut. And...

Everything seems to go in slow motion as the beautiful girl seems to throw the water in slow motion before turning around. She walks for as a explosion erupts behind her. She looks so amazing.

Astrid
Their job is so much cooler.

Gobber pulls me away from the stall after they pass by making me huff in annoyance.

"Ah, come on. Let me out, please. I need to make my mark." I plead.

"Oh, you've made plenty of marks. All in the wrong places." He states poking me in the the chest.

"Please, two minutes. I'll kill a dragon. My life will get infinitely better. I might even get a date." I say. Y/n just shakes her head.

"You can't lift a hammer. You can't swing an axe," he says counting them off. He then grabs a bola. ", you can't even throw one of these." A Viking runs by and nabs it out of Gobber's hand, hurling it at a dive-bombing Gronckle. The bola binds its legs, sending it into a heavy crash.

"Okay fine, but this will throw it for me." I say patting a machine I made. It prematurely launches a bola, narrowly missing Gobber and taking out a Viking at the counter. Gobber stalks closer with annoyance clear on his face.

"See, now this right here is what I'm talking about." He says swinging his hand.

"Mild calibration issue." I state.

"Hiccup. If you ever want to get out there to fight dragons, you need to stop all...," he gestures to all of me. ", this."

"But... you just pointed to all of me." I scoff. I hear Y/n giggle a bit.

"Yes! That's it! Stop being all of you."

"Ohhhhhhhh."

"Ohhhhhhhh, yes." He mimicks.

"You, sir, are playing a dangerous game. Keeping this much, raw...Vikingness contained," I get in his face abit. ",There will be consequences!" He tosses me a sword.

" 'll take my chances. Sword. Sharpen. Now." I huff and get to sharpening.

"An you Y/n, you've got the fight, you've got bravery, you've got the raw talent but you need to just throw yourself in there."

"Not sure I'm up for it. You know I think I just heard Stoick saying i should go back home so I'll just do that." Y/n says try to walk out but Gobber snags the back of her vest with his hook.

"I don't think so. I want you to get out there. Here take a sword and go kick some dragon butt!" He yells pushing her out with a sword. She stares at him until he huffs out a quick fine and pulls he back in.

SO that was the first chapter. I hope you enjoyed it. I tried not to make it to long but I think I made it tad over what's considered as "a good length." I've gotten complaints about that so I'll try to shorten it a little.