Chapter 13

We fly over head with searching for Astrid. We spot her looking back but not noticing us. She quickly jumps off a log and Toothless grabs her arm. Astrid starts screaming was we go higher and higher, clutching onto the paw of the beast she was looking at with disgust just a few moments ago. We quickly drop her on a branch and lean the tree over a cliff.

"Hiccup! Get me down from here!" She yells panting.

"You have to give me a chance to explain." Hiccup trys to reason as she start to move along the branch.

"I'm not listening to ANYTHING you have to say!" She yells in anger.

"Then I won't speak. Just let me show you." Hiccup says. "Please, Astrid." She pulls herself up and reaches for Toothless who let's out a small warning growl. She swats Hiccup's outstretched hand away and reluctantly climbs over the pedal, lines, and harness. She places herself behind me, avoiding all contact.

"Now get me down."

"Toothless? Down. Gently." I can tell Toothless is going to make this hard. He spreads his wings with a look of determination and pure unamusment.

"See? Nothing to be afraid of." He says peering over my shoulder. She glares and turns her head away. He quickly takes off into the air, Astrid ,who was not ready, starts to fall down his back before gripping onto me and with wide eyes.

"Toothless! What is wrong with you?! Bad dragon!" Hiccup yells over the wind.

"He's not usually like this. Oh no..." I say as Toothless turns and darts down in a roll, Astrid once again screaming her head off. He plunges us into the water making me laugh when we come back up only to go down again.

"Toothless, what are you doing?! We need her to like us!" Hiccup exclaims. Toothless rocket upward, doing a corkscrew spin. I laugh as Astrid grips on even tighter, blowing my ear drums out.

"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing you useless reptile." Hiccup groans before Toothless darts down and begins to tumble head over tail. Astrid closes her eyes and puts her face into my back.

"Okay! I'm sorry! I'm sorry. Just get me off of this thing." Astrid whimpers. Astrid is defeated, her aggressive energy gone. Satisfied, Toothless relents. We level off and head up into the clouds. Her grip softens as she sees how amazing this world is. I smile as I nuzzle my head into Hiccup's neck, sliding my hand along his arm to make both of us reach out. He looks back and smiles at me before grinning at the amazed Astrid. We do a slow flip, Astrid and I putting our hands up as we laugh. Everything's so care free. We finally go fully above the clouds where you can see the night sky instead of the sunset, the stars twinkling above. The Northern Lights seem to shine just for us, dancing and shimmering in ribbons across the vast sky. I lean my head on Hiccup's shoulder, happy to share this world with him. Soon we peak out of the clouds to see the sunset has finished and night had fallen on Berk. We fly among the edge of the village, smiling at the lights before flying back up.

"Alright I admit it. This is pretty cool. It's amazing. He's amazing." Astrid says petting his side.

"So what now?" Astrid asks. Hiccup groans. It's a problem without an answer.

"Hiccup, your final exam is tomorrow. You know you're going to have to kill," she then lowers her voice. "kill a dragon.

"Don't remind me." Toothless's ear plates go up as his eyes narrow.

"What s going on bud?" I ask, petting the side of his head. He quickly drops us down.

"Toothless! What's happening? What is it?" Hiccup asks before Toothless roars at him as if telling him to be quiet. A monstrous nightmare emerges from the clouds.

"Get down." Hiccup whispers. We all flatten against Toothless as more and more dragons emerge.

"What's going on?" I ask as Astrid nods behind me.

"I don't know. Toothless. You've got to get us out of here, bud." Hiccup says patting his head. Toothless shakes his hand off and continues foward.

"It looks like they're hauling in their kill." Hiccup says as we eye sheep's and other things.

"What does that make us?" Astrid asks making me gulp. Toothless wouldn't do that to us.... would he?

All the dragon dive at one point, swerving through rock formations in the fog before reaching the base of a raging volcano. We look up at it with wide eyes. Toothless along with the others enters an opening, turning through narrow tunnels. It gives way to a vast, steamy inner chamber, tiered with pocky shelves.

"What my dad wouldn't give to find this." Hiccup says as we look around. Dragons of all breeds lay about, nested in hordes. We watch as they lay about in an almost worroed manner and dump their food into the bright whole. Toothless quickly finds a high up ledge where we can hide.

"It's satisfying to know that all of our food has been dumped down a hole." Hiccup scoffs.

"They're not eating any of it."I say as we look to a Gronckle that flies in a bit clumsier and later than the rest. It stops above the hole and let's a single fish slide off its tongue and fall. It scratches before hearing a sharp roar ring out. Dragons crawl back and try to avoid all contact with whatever is coming. We watch as a giant dragon comes up from the depths and snaps it's jaws around the Gronckle before going back down. It then comes back up, only peaking it's head up out of the smoke. It sniffs around.

"Alright buddy, we gotta get out of here. Now!" Hiccup says as we narrowly miss being eaten by the beast. Dragons flee as it crawls up. It snaps at us again but catches a Zippleback before going back down. We sigh in relief as we head back bit now we have something bigger on our hands.