Chapter 18

Hiccup's POV

"For her." I whisper, tears building in my eyes. Toothless and I take off into the sky.

"He's up!" Astrid yells. I zoom towards them, Ruff,Tuff, and Snotlout getting out of there fast. Astrid is caught in the way of the red death, being drawn closer and closer until Toothless hits it in the mouth. Astrid goes flying to which we swoop down, attempting to catch her.

"Did you get her?" I ask. Toothless grunts. We quickly put her upright before dropping her on land.

"Get Y/n once we get this covered." I command, not waiting for an answer before flying off. I quickly look back at the roaring beast, trying to ignore the image of a lifeless looking y/n laying yards away. If I survive this I'll never get the image out of my head.

"That thing has wings! Okay, let's see if it can use them!" I pull Toothless into a turn. We plummet, gaining tremendous speed. The wind hits us as we target the Red Death at super sonic speed. Toothless starts to build gas in his throat before unloading a fireball against the Red Death's head. It goes down with a rumble as we fly back up.

"Do you think that did it? Suddenly, the enraged Red Death appears from the smoke, flapping its wings furiously. A daunting sight. It's eyes are bloody, the beast completely blind now.

"Well, he can fly." I say before we dive. We swiftly move between rock formations, the large size of the beast causing it to crash into the stone. I see the Village watching us and cheering, my eyes narrowing in on my father who now holds a limp Y/n in his arms. I quickly snap my head back ahead, I can't get distracted, can't let her being hurt and possibly dead be for nothing.

"Okay Toothless, time to disappear." I say before pulling us into a steep climb towards the clouds.

"Come on bud!" I yell. The Red Death follows, closing in fast. I hear the familiar hiss of gas building.

"Here it comes!" I yell before we narrowly dodge a column of flame and smoke. We reach the low-hanging clouds and pierce them. The monster follows, immediately losing us in the hampered visibility. It roars irritably. We fly around before striking it from behind. We fly away again, pulling upwards before aiming down on it, blasting it again. We continue attacking from all angles. It roars before sending fire everywhere

"Watch out!" We almost manage to dodge it. Fire clips at the end of the artificial tail, slowly burning.

"Okay, time's up. Let's see if this works." I pull Toothless into a turn, flying directly into the Red Death's face.

"Come on! Is that the best you can do!?" I taunt. Toothless hisses and insult too, quickly launching into a steep dive. The Red Death pursues. Toothless pumps his wings, racing faster than he's ever gone before. We stay just ahead of the Red Death, no longer trying to evade it. I quickly glance back to check the tail. It's disintegrating.

"Stay with me buddy. We're good. Just a little bit longer" The Red Death closes the gap. I tuck in and hold Toothless steady.

"Hold, Toothless." The Red Death opens his mouth. The familiar gas hiss emanates from his throat.

"NOW!" I yell as I turn us around. Toothless launches the fire ball into the Red Death's mouth. It seems to gasp as fire spew from the corners of it's mouth. It stretches it wings out as it roars in pain, Toothless and i trying to steady ourselves. It's wings start to distigrate. We quickly fall back as the Red Deaths crashes into the ground, setting off a huge explosion. We fly up, trying to stay ahead of the reaching flames. The artificial tail falls off as the Red Death's tail comes into view.

"No. No." I say before we hit. Darkness envaids my vision as I feel myself falling.

Astrid's POV

Stoick stood next to me as we watched the explosion.  We all gasped as we saw Hiccup fall, Toothless following after him. As the flames stop and ash fall from the smoky sky we all go towards the place we last saw them. I carry Y/n with ease, trying to be gentle as her condition gets worse. She didn't have any breaks which was surprising but her shoulder did pop out of its socket. Stoick fixed that pretty fast but for some reason as the minutes passed her pulse seemed to slow more and more.

"Hiccup? Hiccup!?" Stoick screams, searching desperately. Everything is scorched. Even the ground is smoking from the terrible heat.

"Hiccup!? Son!?" Through the ash, Stoick spots the motionless silhouette of Toothless. He quickly run over as the ash clears. We slowly come to the edge and see him on his knees, no Hiccup in sight. My eyes water as Toothless groans and breaks the silence, first Y/n and now Hiccup.

"I'm so sorry..." He says to the dragon. Toothless's eyes widen before he unraps his wings, reveling that he is holding Hiccup. Stoick runs up to them, calling Hiccups name before grabbing him and listening to his chest for a heartbeat.

"He's alive! You brought him back alive!" He cheers as the crowd cheers with him. We clap and cheer as our dragons join us.

"Thank you... for saving my son." He says as Gobber joins his side. Gobber looks Hiccup up and down

"Well, you know... most of him."
Stoick glances back at him. Gobber shrugs, redirecting his eyes towards his leg. Oh great.