Chapter 16

I hit the floor again as Hiccup goes stumbling in the dark great hall. I stand up and look to Stoick, my head a mess and my face showing how tired I am. He passes us grumbling to himself.

"I should have known. I should have seen the signs."

"Dad."

"We had a deal!" Stoick swings is arm but continues foward. I follow right behind them.

"I know we did... but that was before... ughh, it's all so messed up." He turns to us.

"So everything in the ring. A trick? A lie?" He says, pointing his finger at us before turning away disappointed.

"We screwed up. We should have told you before now. Take this out on me, be mad at me, but please... just don't hurt Toothless and don't blame Y/n because I dragged her into this." Hiccup pleads.

"No Hiccup. I was there with you, I could have turned away at any moment but I didn't so don't try to put this all on you. Toothless is both of us." I say sternly. Stoick turns around.

"The dragon? That's what you're worried about? Not the people you almost killed?!" Stoick yells in our faces.

"He was just protecting us! He's not dangerous." I yell at him.

"They've killed HUNDREDS OF US!" Stoick yells in our faces.

"And we've killed THOUSANDS OF THEM! They defend themselves, that's all! They raid us because they have to! If they don't bring enough food back, they'll be eaten themselves." Stoick huffs as he begin to pace again.

"There's something else on their island Stoick...it's a dragon like-" I get cut off.

"Their island? So you've been to the nest." Stoick whispers in a threatening voice as we back up.

"Did I say nest?" I ask.

"How did you find it?!" He yells getting closer. We continue to scout back abit.

"No... we didn't. Toothless did. Only a dragon can find the island." Hiccup says as Stoick glares. A moment passes, then an idea takes form on his face. His eyes flare. We watch, eyes widening in realization. Stoick looks toward the doorway.

"Oh no. No, Dad. No." We quickly try and stop him.

"It's not what you think. You don't know what you're up against. It's like nothing you've ever seen." I ramble before getting pushed aside. Stoick walks foward, ignoring the pleas that spill from our mouths.

"Dad. Please. I promise you that you can't win this one!" Hiccup yells after him. He quickly runs to him, grabbing his arm.

"No. Dad. No. For once in your life, WOULD YOU PLEASE JUST LISTEN TO ME?!" Hiccup pleads. Stoick pushes him away, his son falling to the floor as he turns around.

"You've thrown your lot in with them. You're not a Viking. You're not my son." He says before looking at me.

"And you. I took you in. I could have left you alone but I didn't because I thought you grow and thrive like the rest of us but I was wrong. Your family would be ashamed, their last surviving member bringing shame to the family name." I reach out to the man who took care of me.

"Please. You don't mean that. You can't leave us like this." He swatts my hand away and glares.

"I don't know who you are." He says before turning and walking through the doors and closing one. It swings back open faintly. I look at a broken and defeated Hiccup. I grab his hand and pull him up, drawing him into a hug.

"We're in this together." He says nothing as he squeezes me. I pull him out of the great hall a few minutes later. We walk to the edge of the village where the land meet water, ignoring the glares. We watch from above as the load Toothless onto a ship. We can hear Stoicks voice as he gives orders before seeing us. He stares before turning away. It's over. I sigh and nuzzle into Hiccup's side. I look up at him before turning back to the ships that are sailing away.

"The sky is dark and the hills are whites, as the storm-king speeds from the north to-night, as this is the song that the storm-king sings, as over the world his cloak he flings, he rustles his wings and gruffly sings," I sing softly. Hiccup looks at me as I stare at the ships that fade from view

"On yonder mountain-side a vine clings at the foot of a mother pine; the tree bends over the trembling thing and only the vine can hear her sing," I look at Hiccup and place a hand on his chest.

"The king may sing in his bitter flight, the tree may croon to the vine to-night, but the little snowflake at my breast liketh the song I sing the best, weary thou art, anext to my heart." I finish. He smiles a bit before turning and holding me to him, both of us finding comfort from eachother. Time passes and we ignore the footsteps behind us.

"It's a mess." Astrid says joining our side. We don't respond.

"You must feel horrible. You've lost everything. Your father and care giver, your tribe, your best friend." I avoid all eye contact with her.

"Thank you for summing that up." I sigh.

"Why couldn't we have killed that dragon when we found him in the woods. It would have been better for everyone." Hiccup sighs. I pat his back.

"Yep. The rest of us would have done it." Astrid says leaning closer to him.

"So why didn't you?" Hiccup just shakes his head. "Why didn't you?"

"I don't know. We couldn't." Hiccup says turning away from her.

"That's not an answer." Astrid says, jabbing and jabbing and jabbing.

"Why is this so important to you all of a sudden?" Hiccup groans back in irratation.

"Because I want to remember what you two say right now." She pushes.

"Oh for the love of -- I was a coward! I was weak. We wouldn't kill a dragon." Hiccup yells.

"He opened our eyes. He showed us a new world. We wouldn't take that away from him." I add on.

"You said 'wouldn't' that time." She says.

"Whatever! We wouldn't! Three hundred years and we're the first Vikings who wouldn't kill a dragon!" Hiccup yells in frustration.

"First to ride one, though. So....." We both turn to Astrid.

"I wouldn't kill him cause seeing Hiccup holding that dagger to him made me remember what I had forgotten somewhere. That we all were like these beasts in a way, just as bad as the other." I say before looking at Hiccup.

"I wouldn't kill him because he looked as frightened as I was. I looked at him and I saw myself."

"I bet he's really frightened now. What are you going to do about it?" She asks. I look to Hiccup.

"Probably something stupid." He says.

"Good. But you've already done that." His face changes a bit.

"Then something crazy." He says before grabbing my hand and pulling me with him. We quickly run off to do Hiccup's crazy plan.

"If we're doing what I think we're doing I'm going to have to do something real quick. I'll meet you back at the ring." I say before heading off towards a cave just a few minutes from the village. I had caught what I'm looking for here many times and pray that it's here today. I wearily enter the cave and call out.

"Hello!" I watch as fire is shot into a little corner, lighting the room up. I see a familiar face and smile a bit.

"Its nice to see you again." I say softly before coming closer slowly. It observes my movements before coming closer. It studies me before holding calm eye contact with me. I hold my hand out watching as it sniffs my palm. It looks me in the eye and then goes back to my hand, placing it's snout in my hand. I smile before moving my hands slowly to each side. With memories playing in my mind the dragon bends it's head down. I close my eyes and lean my head on its ruff skin, forehead to forehead.

I pull away slowly and trace the scar that I had left 6 years ago. The same Monstrous Nightmare I had injured but connected with. I mouth a thank thank you to which it nods, seemingly understanding me.

"We're going to make everything right today."