Chapter 5

"Remember... a dragon will always, always go for the kill."

"Then why didn't you?" Hiccup asks holding the bola that had previously been wrapped around the Night Fury.

"Something isn't right, Hiccup. There has to be more than what we think."I say making him nod. He puts down the bola and we walk off in the direction in which the dragon took off. We find an opening in a big rock wall and walk through with caution. We find a beautful place away from everyone else. It's green and has a spring pool in the middle of it. Stone walls surround it making it private. A little cove.

"Wow." I mutter.

"Well this was stupid." Hiccup states. I huff and roll my eyes. I then spot some black dots on the floor. I crouch down and pick it up. Scales.

"Maybe not." I say holding one up to him to which he inspects. The Night Fury launches up in front of us, trying to escape before gliding back down and crashing. The poor thing is trapped. Hiccup's eyes widen as he stares at the dragon. I smile and quickly start to go down, Hiccup following behind.

We watch as it trys again only to fail and fall back down to the hard earth. It tries again and again. I then notice part of the tail is missing. Hiccup begins to sketch.

"Why don't you just...fly away?" He asks. I sigh and point to its tail.

"Hiccup." He looks at me before following my finger. He notices the missing half of the tail and adjusts his drawing as the Night Fury sends a blast in frustration. He then trys again only to fall next the pond where he then tries to bite for fish. Hiccup sets down his charcoal stick but it rolls of with a ticking noise as it hits the rocks.

The Night Fury looks up at us and just stares. We stare in silence neither one of us moving before the Night Fury tilts it's head.

Time Skip

Hiccup and I are late to the Great Hall. We stroll up to the table where they are correcting performance.

"Alright. Where did Astrid go wrong in the ring today?"

"I mistimed my summersault dive. It was sloppy. It threw off my reverse tumble."

"Yeah. We noticed."

"No, no, you were great. That was so 'Astrid'."

"She's right, you have to be tough on yourselves." We grab our food making others look at us. We quickly sit down at the table next to theirs while Gobber asks what Hiccup did wrong.

"He showed up." Ruffnut laughs.

"He didn't get eaten." Tuffnut says.

"He's never where he should be." Astrid answers, staring at us.

"Thank you, Astrid."

"Now what did Y/n do wrong?" Gobber asks.

"She became friends with him." Snotlout says with a sneer.

"She got distracted." Astrid answer again.

"Thank you, Astrid. Y/n, you have it down you just need to focus." Gobber says as I take a bite of the chicken.

"Now, you need to live and breathe this stuff. The dragon manual. Everything we know about every dragon we know of." Gobber says plopping a book in the middle of the table. Thunder booms outside as we Hiccup and I stand our soaking selves up.

"No attacks tonight. Study up." Gobber says before leaving.

"Wait, you mean read?" Tuffnut asks sounding offended.

"While we're still alive?" Ruffnut wines.

"Why read words when you can just kill the stuff the words tell you stuff about?" Snotlout comaplins while banging his fist on the table.

"Oh! I've read it like, seven times. There's this water dragon that sprays boiling water at your face. And there's this other one that buries itself for like a week-" they stare at him before Tuffnut cuts him off.

"Yeah, that sounds great. There was a chance I was going to read that..." he says sounding very bored.

"But now..." Ruffnut gets up.

"You guys read, I'll go kill stuff." Snotlout says getting up too. Fishlegs follows close behind them, informing them on more dragons.

"So I guess we'll share--" Hiccup starts looking at both Astrid and I.

"Read it." She says pushing it towards us.

"All ours then. Wow, so okay. I'll see you tomorrow." The door slams making him sigh as we sit down.

"I don't get how you like her. What do you see in her?" I ask. He sighs with a dreamy look on his face.

"She's beautiful and fierce and brave and just so amazing." He sighs. I look away with a sad look. He really likes her alot. I wish he would see how much I care for him and how much I like him.

The thunder booms as we open the book, Hiccup somehow already dry while I'm still soaked to the bone.

"Dragon classifications. Strike class. Fear class. Mystery class." Hiccup reads out loud before turning the page.

"Thunderdrum. This reclusive dragon inhabits sea caves and dark tide pools. When startled, the Thunderdrum produces a concussive sound that can kill a man at close range. Extremely dangerous. Kill on sight." Our eyes drift to an illustration of a Viking being decapitated. He turns the page.

"Timberjack. This gigantic creature has razor sharp wings that can slice through full grown trees...extremely dangerous. Kill on sight." I read before turning the page.

"Scauldron. Sprays scalding water at its victim. Extremely dangerous." The storm outside roars scaring both Hiccup and I. I grab his hand as we both swing around. He squeezes it before we turn back and continue reading.

"Changewing. Even newly hatched dragons can spray acid. Kill on sight." I read out taking notice to the fact he hasn't let go of my hand. He begins to flip through pages.

"Gronckle. Zippleback. The Skrill. Bone Knapper. Whispering Death." He reads out. I gulp as he continues to flip the pages.

"Burns its victims. Buries its victims. Chokes its victims. Turns its victims inside-out." I read. I feel scared.

"Extremely dangerous. Extremely dangerous. Kill on sight. Kill on sight. Kill on sight..." He reads out before stopping. The page is practically blank.

"The Night Fury. Speed unknown. Size unknown. The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself. Never engage this dragon. Your only chance, hide and pray it does not find you." I'm confused but frightened at the same time. Hiccup takes his book at and lays his sketch on the bigger book.