Chapter Thirteen

Sarah was playing what seemed like a game of chess with Shavage. She didn't understand the rules of quite what was going on but she knew he was cheating, or at least that's what she thought. He used magic every other time she made a move. Shavage seemed relaxed and confident that he would win the game.

"That's not fair." She muttered.

"Of course it is, it's how you play the game. You move your piece in the board then cast a spell to make a change. I'm surprised you haven't done so yet." He said leaning into the table to look at Sarah.

"You didn't tell me the rules or how to play. It's not fair." She said once more.

"Don't start up with the whining about what's fair and what's not. What's fair is what the person with the most power says is fair. Jareth, me, The Labyrinth, the Goblin Kingdom, the Centur Kingdom. Everything." He explained.

"Why are we doing this anyway. I thought you said you would train me."

"I am, this is how. We are not leaving this table until you make a move with a spell. Now, I do believe that it's your turn." He said leaning back again.

"Fine, whatever. What if I move here?" She asked pointing to a spot on the board.

"You would die." He said firmly.

She sat and tried to remember the time her father taught her how to play chess. She didn't really pay much attention to him and lost every game they ever played. She had to focus now who knows what Shavage would do if she lost. She moved a piece.

"I know you're wondering why I hate Jareth so much." He said making his next move. "He took everything that belonged to me. I was heir to the Labyrinth. I should be the king of the goblins. But our parents decided other wise and gave the Labyrinth to the buffoon that is my brother. I had nothing. I waited for a thousand years to take over the Centur Kingdom, and I waited a thousand more to exact my revenge on Jareth through you." He explained.

"Why with me?" Sarah asked intently making a move.

Shavage countered her move and won her piece.

"I thought you knew already, but humans are all clueless, I suppose. Simple. Because he loves you. I win, by the way."