richie swallowed hard and his face flushed to a sickening white. all this time, little eddie kasprak was head over heels for him. richie came to his senses and slowly walked to his next class. he felt as if all eyes were on him.

     "eddie bear! come down and eat!" called eddie's mother from the dining room. "im not hungry mommy!" eddie lied as he laid on his bed. eddie's mother didn't respond and just dropped the topic, not bothering to check on eddie to see why he didn't want to eat. eddie's large dark eyes stared directly at his ceiling fan, as he tried to follow one single blade. eddie quickly got dizzy and rolled onto his side and began staring out his window. the sound of the paper under his pillow caught his attention, and he quickly sat up and took the paper out of its place. he stared at the folded paper and pressed his lips together in thought. he thought so long and hard, he had begun to tear up. eddie unfolded the paper and gazed at his precious drawing that he had cherished for so long. tears silently streamed down his cheeks and dripped onto the drawing. eddie wiped the tears from his cheeks as he continued to think about anything and everything. his thoughts soon made him not depressed, but irritated. eddie walked over to the small garbage can he kept next to desk and began tearing the drawing. he ripped it in half, then those halves in half and so forth, until they were all but specs of white. he threw the remains into the can and glared at them. he was so full of devastation and despair. he continued to glare at the shreds, and decided that this wasn't enough, he needed to do something more. he needed to burn them.
     eddie walked into the bathroom and looked into the mirror and made sure it didn't look like he was just crying. his eyes were puffy with dark circles accompanying them. he thought he looked fine and began his journey downstairs.
"hey eds, I made spaghetti, it's on the stove if you want any." informed his uninterested mother. he nodded his head in response and walked into the kitchen. he opened the junk drawer and searched around for a lighter of some sort. "eddie, what are you doing?" questioned his mother with a little more concern. "just getting some silverware." he answered blankly. he searched a bit more and quickly spotted the familiar black stick. he checked his surroundings and slowly slipped the lighter into his glove. he started his way back upstairs when his mother stopped him. "are you not going to eat?" she probed. "I went to get a bowl of it, but changed my mind. im really not hungry at the moment, sorry mommy."
     eddie ran back up the stairs and popped into his bedroom for only a second to grab the garbage can. he then snuck his way into the bathroom, shutting and locking the door. he dumped the papers out onto the sink and huddled them into a small group. the flame blazed from the lighter as he brought it down towards the pile. the papers slowly burned and shriveled, soon leaving a pile of ashes on the sink. eddie scooped the ashes into his gloves and dumped them into the toilet, flushing it. the smell of burnt paper filled the bathroom, forcing eddie to spray some of his mom's perfume. he stepped out of the bathroom and made sure his mother was no where in sight as he crossed back over to his bedroom and returned the can to its rightful place. the frail boy flopped back onto his bed, and didn't hear the crinkle of the paper, which made him uncomfortable. after all he went through to get that damned drawing out of his life, he wanted it back...just like that.

     "you need to talk to him, now." bev demanded as she walked beside richie down the hall. "I...I can't." he spoke, annoying bev. "if you don't do it soon, then who know what will happen. hell he could end up dead next week for all we know!" she insisted, trying to scare richie into what he needed to do. "someone could end up dead in the next hour, bev." "you're not getting the point. eddie kasprak needs you, and you're not talking to him because you're scared? richie, believe me, I know this is difficult, but you have to do it...have to."