Chapter Twenty-Three: BETRAYAL

Zacchary

My grandparents were really at home to see us, to see my wife. I was grateful of their presence because I can tell, Chances doesn't want any of my announcements. But when they're asleep and I'm left with her in our room, I got no choice but talk to her.

"Zacc."

"Babe. I'm sleepy."I reasoned so she won't badger about everything.

"Zacc naman eh. Hindi mo ko kailangang ibahay, alam mo 'yan."wika niyang nagpabangon sa'kin.

"Chances, I promised to give you a good life—"

"Everything is already good. Hindi natin kailangan tumira rito."she continued her repartee.

How will I tell her that I want to shove her away from anyone—from her true love, from my cousin and my parents?

"I want us to be... realistic. Look, after what happened when I was away, it can open up speculations. I don't want anybody to find out."pagdadahilan ko.

With that stated, she did not reply. She remained silent until I wrapped my arms around her.

"I'm sorry, Zacc."she whispered which caused my heart to twinge.

"Stop saying that, please. That's one word I don't ever want to hear from you again."

Because it could mean she's done something that would hurt me or she's leaving eventually. Either way, I'm going to lose. I don't want any of those. Like what was said in a maxim 'Love means never having to say sorry.'

"Okay."

"Let's sleep baby. Marami akong lakad bukas."

It's the truth. Matagal ko ng gustong gawin 'to pero hindi ko nagawa nong nakaraang araw dahil 'di ko maiwan si Chances sa hospital. Well, I now have all the time. After driving my wife to the university, I went straight to the condo—not only to get our things but to confront someone.

"Hey bro—"

I didn't give him the chance to go on. I hit him in the face the very moment he opened the door.

"How could you do it, dude?"I confronted him with gritted teeth.

"What are you talking about?"

"Stop denying it because I knew you too well. You are so predictable, Arlo. Tss! Really?"

"Gago ka pala. Wala akong alam sa sinasabi mo!"

"Alam kong ikaw nagpadala ng mga pictures kay mama! Gusto mong magkasira kami ni Chances!"

"Do you hear yourself, Zacc? Walang masisira sa inyo ni Chances. Baka nakakalimutan mong walang totoong kayo."nakangising sagot niya na muntik nang mag-udyok sa'king patayin siya.

"Iyan ba ang pinanghahawakan mo? Kaya nakipagkuntsabo ka kay Vina para sirain kami? Arlo, I will marry her again. This time, for real. So, back off and stay away from my wife."

"No Zacc. Hindi kayo magpapakasal ulit. Mirana and I have agreed. Sasabihin namin sa mama mo ang totoo."

Dahil sa sinabi niya, hindi na ako nakapagpigil at sinakal ko na siya.

"Arlo, stop using Nana! Di porket mahal ka niya e pwede mo na siyang abusuhin. Kapag sinaktan mo siya, babasagin ko ang pagmumukha mo."

I was on my way home when Arlo's words intervened with my thoughts. So, I turned back and drove to tita's place. Mirana wasn't home but I decided to wait. I need to talk to her.

"Zacc?"bungad niya nang pumasok sa kwarto.

Nakatulog pala ako sa paghihintay sa kanya.

"Totoo ba, Nana? Pumayag ka sa gusto ni Arlo na sabihin kay mama lahat?"I confronted her, pain and disappointment manifested in my tone.