Chapter Thirty-Nine: AWAKE

Mirana

Hawak-hawak ko ang kamay ni Zacc bago ako makatulog kaya naman ramdam ko agad ang paggalaw niya. Immediately, I opened my eyes. This time, it wasn't just his fingers moving. He opened his eyes! He was smiling, just enough to break my heart. I miss this guy so much!

"Zacc! Zacchy! We miss you."I cried out and hugged him. "Tita! Arlo, call tita. Call the nurses!"

While he ran out immediately, I went to the crib to get baby Chanchan. Lumapit ako kay Zacc para makita niya ang anak niya. Hindi ako nakapagsalita dahil pumasok si tita Veronica na umiiyak at agad na yumakap sa kanya.

"Oh honey, we miss you. Wait, I'll get baby Zacchy." Bumalik si tita na karga-karga ang babyboy na nagmana sa mommy niya. "Look, son. He looks like his mom."

"They both do."I stated referring to the baby I'm carrying as well.

Lumapad ang ngiti ni Zacc. He slowly raised his hand to hold the hands of his children. He was able to do it. It was a perfect sight to watch.

"Chances."he asked in a very groggy voice I almost couldn't hear. "Where is Chances?"

Nagkatinginan kami nina tita at Arlo. Umatras ako at pinagtuonan ng pansin si baby Chanchan. I can't answer it. Tita Veronica did the same.

"Nana, ma! Where is my wife!?"sigaw niya na nagpaiyak ng diretso sa'min ni tita. "Please! Tell me, where is my wife!?"

"Dude."Arlo bravely responded. "She's-"

"She's what? Please call her. I want to see her. I want to see my wife. Please call her."sambit niya ng paulit-ulit habang di naman nakaligtas sa'min ang mga luhang nangingilid sa mga mata niya. "What?"he blared when nobody moved. "Call my wife, didn't you hear me?"

"Zacc, she's gone."Arlo eventually said. "She's gone for a year now."

"Arlo, get the fuck out of here! That is not a good joke!"he angrily shouted at him.

"Dude, it's the truth-"

Of much anger, he pulled the tubes off his body and tried standing. Buti nalang at pumasok ang mga nurses at tinurukan siya ng pampatulog.

"Ma, please call her."

"Arlo is telling you the truth, son."tita answered.

As Zacc closed his eyes, tears fell from them. The heartbreak came back to mind when we lost Chances that day. That was a year and a month ago.

"Pagod na ako. Ayaw ko na."she murmured which caused everyone in the room to panic. Chances was hyperventilating.

"No, honey. Don't sleep. Don't sleep okay?"tita Veronica said, crying.

"Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!"

"Push, Chances. Malapit na. Keep pushing, sweetheart."tito Gab encouraged.

When she closed her eyes, tito Gab was alarmed.

"Chances, please don't sleep!"

But it was just for a brief moment because we saw her smile. It was the smile she used to give to my bestfriend. Right that time, I knew that she saw him. Hindi na naalis sa labi niya ang ngiting 'yon.

"I love you, Zacc."she whispered.

She screamed in pain for seconds and when she stopped, the sweet music of the baby boy's cries filled the room. Then came next the saccharine tiny voice of a babygirl crying. Tita and I were smiling so happily. Yet then, the monitor began to beep incessantly and when I checked, it showed me a straight line.