Eleven.

“Why are you calling me?” I spat into the phone as my back hit the door.

“It’s so good to hear your voice.” Her tone was as soft spoken as the day she left.

“Why are you calling me?” I repeated.

“I just wanted to talk.” She squeaked, earning a scoff from my end.

“I have nothing to say to you.”

“Please don’t be cross with me.” She whispered, sighing.

“Don’t be cross with you?’ I challenged. :I have every right to be cross with you.”

“There are things you don’t understand. There are things you need to know.” I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. It was like a scene from a movie, the way she’s trying to contact me after all these years.

“Like what?” I scoffed. “That you left your only daughter? That she needed you, and you ran away? That you left her with her bastard father? And that she has nowhere to go? That she hasn’t been home in a week, because if she does go home, he’ll kill her? I know everything I need to know. I know that you left me, and that’s all that matters.” I didn’t notice I was crying until I went up to wipe my cheek and came back with soaked skin.

“He was going to kill me.” Mum croaked.

“But it’s alright if he kills me?” I asked. “Because you left me for dead when you ran away.”

She was silent for a long while.

“I wanted to take you with me.” She promised.

“Then why didn’t you?” I rasped.

“I couldn’t. You don’t understand.” I shook my head, staying silent. She changed the subject after a long while. “I promise I’ll make it right, Romina.” Her voice was hoarse.

“I have to go.” I whispered. “I’m at a cabin for the weekend. I can’t talk now.” I felt like an automated system, the way I rattled off an excuse as to not have to talk to her.

“I love you, Romina.” Without answering, I hung up and met Luke outside.

***LUKE’S POINT OF VIEW***

“Are you alright?” I asked as she sat down next to me, she’d came back as I finished making our sandwiches, seeming a bit shook up and disoriented.

“I’m okay.” She rasped, but I could tell by her shaking hands as she reached for a sandwich that she wasn’t okay at all. As she obviously doesn’t want to talk about it, I decided to leave it alone and change the subject slightly.

“Who was on the phone?” I inquired, taking a bite of my sandwich and passing Romy a soda. She shook her head.

“It was no one.” She assured, her eyes finally meeting mine. “It was just something about my debit card.” It was obvious she had lied to me, but I was unsure whether I wanted to call her out on it. I sighed quietly.

“Was it your dad?” I took a bold move, earning a frown.

“I told you, it was or my debit-” I cut her off.

“Romy.” I stated. Her eyes fell to the lake as she ate.

“It wasn’t my dad.” She promised. “It was…” Her voice trailed off. “My mum.” She muttered, so quietly that I barely heard her.