Twelve.

Finally, it was Sunday, and we were packing to leave. This weekend seemed to have lasted forever, and I was so glad to go home—well, to Kaylee’s—and collapse in bed. But at the same time, I wanted to stay, secluded in our cabin for the rest of my life. I didn’t want to go back to school, I didn’t want to take the three and a half hour drive back to Sydney, especially not cramped in between Ash and LUke. I had no objection riding with them, considering Ashton is the only one who knows, and would not object to our holding hands or frequent touches.

But now, I think I’m suffocating in the stuffy car. We’re finally on the road, listening to music as Luke slyly reached over, setting his hand on my thigh. I smiled up at him.

“So you two are good, then?” Ashton asked, making conversation.

“We’re okay.” I spoke, smiling as I marvelled at Luke.

“I don’t get it.” Ashton laughed. “You treat each other like shit.” He shook his head.

“It’s complicated.” I told him, setting my head on Luke’s shoulder as I laced my fingers with his.

“It’s different.” Luke stated. “When we’re alone, it’s different.” He lightly squeezed my hand.

“I think it’s the stress.” Ash admitted. “Of no one else knowing.” He clarified. Silence struck us for a long while, long enough for me to fall asleep.

***

I woke up as Luke was pulling out of Ashton’s driveway. Rubbing my eyes, I lifted my head up and looked at Luke.

“Hey.” He smiled.

“Hi.” I rasped, finding it hard to keep my eyes open.

“Are you tired?” He asked, laughing slightly. I nodded. “Where do you want me to take you?”

“Your house.” I mumbled, closing my eyes once again. The didn’t stay closed for long, when I heard Luke mutter my name. Peeling them back open, I saw police cars piled in my driveway. With a disgruntled sigh, I directed Luke to pull over. “He’s probably just angry I haven’t been home in a while.” I told Luke. in attempt to calm both him and myself. But when I saw a man taking my father out of the house in handcuffs, Luke and I jumped out of the car. “Hey!” I called. “W-What’s going on? Why are you arresting my father?” The man shoved him into the car, directing me inside. Luke followed after me as I ran, abruptly stopping when I saw a short, chubby man in my kitchen.

“Romina baker?” He asked. I looked desperately at Luke, confused at what’s going on. “Romina?” He asked again, earning a small nod from Luke.

“Yeah, she’s Romina.” He told him.

“Romina, I’m Detective Olsen, I’m with the Special Victims Unit. We’re taking your father into custody. We’re going to need you to come down to the station and answer a few questions.” Luke set a hand on my back, to which I immediately shook off, nodding quickly. Reaching over, I gripped Luke’s hand tightly.

“I’ll meet you there.” He promised, kissing my forehead before sending me off to follow Detective Olsen. He led me in his car and began driving.

“Romina-” He began, being cut off by me.

“Romy.” I told him. “It’s Romy, please.” He gave me a curt nod.

“Is that your boyfriend?” He asked, noticing Luke’s car was following us.