Not My Jacket

I get up feeling colder than usual. I slowly wake up and look at my arms and remember I left my jacket at Roman's. "Damn," I get up and do my routine without my jacket. Before I go upstairs to leave I take off the bandages so the cuts can heal with the air.

I get in the car and wait for Patton. He rushes out a few seconds later. "Let's go!" He says then looks at me. "Wheres your jacket?"

"You didn't notice yesterday?" I ask as we pull out. "I left it at Romans by accident." He nods and drives us to school.

Once we get to school I cover my arms and run in. I quickly go to Romans locker and see him talking to Starr. "Roman!" I yell.

Starr looks at me up and down. "Julian." She says putting her hand out. "You're a great actor Virgil."

I hesitantly shake her hand. "T-thanks Starr," I say stuttering. "Roman?"

"Yes, Anx?" He asks looking at himself in the mirror. I glare at him through the mirror and he turns around slowly. "Yes...V-v-Virgil?" He asks shaking slightly.

"Where. Is. My. Jacket?" I ask sounding harsher than I meant to.

His eyes widen. "Welllll," He drags it out. "I mayyyyy of forgot it?" He said questionably.

"Dammit Roman," I said slamming my fist into the lockers. He jumps. I walk towards him and he backs up. "You. Forgot. It?!" I yell storming angerly towards him.

He quickly pulls his jacket off. "I w-w-wore one here." He says nervously holding it out to me.

I take it. "But isn't like a universal sign that if you're wearing someone's jacket you're dating them?" I asked rolling my eyes.

"I think so? Just no one knows this is my jacket so don't worry." He says walking with me to class.

"Whatever so what're you doing for Halloween?" I say putting the jacket on.

"Um probably gonna throw a party like I do every year." He says turning towards me. "Wanna go?"

I stop walking. "Um no, I'm too busy avoiding social interaction from the douchey football players," I say continuing to walk. "Especially Peter," I mutter.

Roman stops me. "Hey I'll be there and Patton can come so you'll have people there and Peter is a good guy he's my best friend," Roman says confused.

"He's your best friend?! Of course your friends! He isn't a good guy." I say slipping past Roman.

He stops me again. "What'd he do?"

I roll my eyes and continue walking nodding for him to follow me. "Well, he accused me of looking at his ass and called me a fag throwing me to the wall on my second day here," I say ignoring Romans disagreement.

Once we get there I walk to the back and put my head down. "Psst Virgil."

I look over and see a guy with red hair and green eyes looking at me. "What?" I groan.

"Who's jacket you got on?" He asks smirking.

"Um...Princey's." I say thinking he won't know who I'm talking about.

"Roman?!" He yells standing up. Everyone looks back at him while I groan at the pairs of eyes.

"Daniel! Get down! If you need to talk to Roman do it after class." Mrs. Smith scolds him. He sits down.

"Sorry Miss but I actually need to announce something to the class." She nods and he goes to the front. "Everyone see Virgil's jacket." He says pointing to me. I groan again. "It's Roman's! He's with Roman!"

I slam my head repeatedly on the table. Everyone starts cheering. I stop and stand up angerly. "I am NOT DATING ROMAN!" I scream pulling his jacket off and throwing it at him. "Fuck all of you!" I run off.

Roman's POV

"Roman?" Mrs. Smith asks me. I have my face buried in my jacket.

I look up. "Yes?" She nods to the door. I get up and follow where Virgil left. I head straight to the bathrooms. Once I get inside the bathrooms I hear sobbing.

I head to the farthest stall and sit by the door. "Virge?" I ask.

"Ugh, what do you want?" He snaps at me.

"Open the door."

"You're the last person I want to see." He says his voice breaking.

"Please let me in," I say waiting in silence for a few minutes.

I hear him get up and open the door. I get up. He collapses in my arms and starts sobbing. I petting his hair and slowly sit on the ground with him in my arms.

"Virgil...it's okay no one really thinks your gay no one knows," I say slowly.

"That's not the issue."

"Then what is?" I asked taking his hand and rubbing circles on it.

"I know how this thing works. I'm the freak, oh and now I'm gay. I'll get bullied more then I'll go to the office more and they'll call my mom and shell find out I'm gay and she'll make me feel worse about myself." He aid leaning into my touch.

"Hey, I won't let anyone hurt you," I say hugging him tighter.

"This school sucks." He says chuckling.

"Yeah..." I say trying to sound upset.

"Except you I guess." He says chuckling.