New Year New Me

Virgil's POV

I wake up and roll out of bed like every day. I get up and go upstairs I grab my keys. I go and wake up Patton. "Where are we going?" He asks as I pull him to my car.

I start it without explaining. I drive to Walmart and head to the New Years section. I put four bottles of sparkling juice. I grab four hats and ten boxes of firecrackers. Patton just follows me confused. I grab a few bags of chips and some salsa and cheese dip.

We make it to check out and he asks. "Why are you buying all this?" I start paying and take the cart to my car. I put my bags in the car and get it. I start the car and start heading to Roman's.

I knock on the door once we get there and gesture for him to follow me. He follows me to the car and I show him the bags. "Is this for tonight?" I nod. "Thank you I'll carry them in then you can come in. I shake my head. "Why not?" I grab the bags and bring them inside he follows me. I wave and go to the car starting it.

I start driving to Logan's. I honk the horn. He comes out storming to the car. "My grandma is sleeping." I smile and gesture for him to get in. He hesitantly gets in. "Have you been driving this whole time?" I nod. "That's illegal." I shrug and head back to Roman's.

When we get there I gesture for both of them to get out and we go knock on the door.

He comes out. "Oh! Virgil, you're back and Logans with you now." I nod. "Come in guys."

We follow him in. "Why aren't you talking Virgil?" Logan asks when we sit down. I point at Patton to explain.

Patton nods. "I totally forgot Virgil! Okay so this will be hard to explain but on New Year's Eve, our mom started drinking because Thomas just came out and she was saying hurtful things to Virgil. He didn't talk the whole day he just took what our mother was saying as something true not to be fought on then at midnight our dad officially left." Patton explains I nod.

"But why doesn't he talk now?" Logan asks confused.

"Well, you know the sentence 'New Year New Me'?" They nod. "He believes if he acts like he did that day Mom would change because of the new year and dad would come back." Patton finishes.

I nod and type something onto my phone showing Roman. "One thing happened already but it's like a superstition now I feel stupid feeling this way but I've down it since I was six it's more a habit now." He says looking up at me. "Oh, Virge it's not stupid!" Roman says hugging me.

I push him for and glare pointing at Logan and Patton. Patton was grinning ear to ear and Logan had a satisfied look on his face. "What?" He asks obliviously. "I was just giving my best friend a hug damn."

I type something and show Roman putting a hand on my chest acting flattered. "Awe Princey I'm your best friend? I'm so flattered." Roman reads then look at me. "Of course My Emo Nightmare." I snicker. "Am I yours?" I act like I'm thinking and look into his eyes and shake my head.

"Ouch," Patton says giggling. I point at Patton then start typing and let Roman read it.

"He's my best friend you're my Mega best friend winky face." He reads I shake my head at his huge grin.

We head to the kitchen to make lunch. "Everyone's at either friends or a party." Roman states getting the mayo for our sandwiches. Everyone nods. "So are you going to kiss Logan at midnight Patt?" Roman asks smirking I start smirking too.

Patton looks at us. "I don't know Ro are you going to be kissing my little bro?" He and Logan start smirking now. Roman starts blushing and I shake my head willing myself not to blush.

Later that night Logan and Patton run off somewhere. Roman and I sit on the balcony. "We have one hour until midnight are you ready?" I nod smiling. "Anyone in the world who'd you spend New Years with?" He asks randomly. I think and point to him. He starts smiling.

We were both sitting on a blanket by each other watching the stars. "Are you having a good night?" I look at him and nod and point to him shrugging. He gets what I'm saying. "Yes best New Years ever because I get to hang with my best...excuse me mega best friend." I chuckle.

It's one minute until midnight and I FaceTimed Patton. "Hey, guys! One minute!" We chuckle at his enthusiasm.

Eventually, we were counting down from ten.

Ten." I counted on my fingers.

"Nine."

"Eight."

"Seven."

"Six."

"Five."

"Four."

"Three."

"Two." Patton hangs up.

"One! Virgil listen I don't have enough time to explain but I like you more than a friend I like, like you?" He says leaning in and kissing me.

I gasp it wasn't like in the play it felt more...real. "Roman..." I gasp slapping a hand to my mouth. I get up and run out to my car and lock myself in there.

I didn't cry or freak out I mostly grinned at the confusing feelings I felt.

A few minutes later I got my grin to go away just in time for everyone to run up to the car. I unlock it and walk out. "What happened?" Patton asks concerned checking me for injuries.

I look at Roman and back at Patton. "I talked and got scared and ran off," I said scratching the back of my head.

He nods. "Okay."

"Roman? Can I talk to you in the car?" He nods and we get in.

He starts before I can. "I'm sorry I know you don't like me like that and I wasn't thinking straight I don't even know if I really like you like that." He says quickly. I nod feeling slightly disappointed.

I smile at the frowning boy. "Hey it's fine I'm not going to get mad for a mistake." He smiles slightly. 'I'm such a hypocrite.' I think thinking back to finding him and Logan together.