Finally Free

Virgil's POV

It was finally the last performance. I was so excited to get it over with.

"Why are you so excited Anxiety?" Roman smiles to himself at the nickname.

"Just...anxious," I say smirking at him. He frowns. "But seriously I'm ready to get this over with I'm sick of performing this.

Roman smiles slightly then frowns. "I'm not I wanna keep performing this play with you."

I smirk evilly. "Stop," Roman says. "I know that smirk."

I flutter my eyes. "Oh baby you just want to keep kissing me don't you?" I said walking closer to him. He starts backing away and I keep walking closer and closer. He starts blushing.

He backs into the wall. I get him just where I want him. I lean in and stop mere inches from his face. I pat his chest. "Too bad it's ending tonight." I start walking away to get ready.

Roman's POV

"Too bad it's ending tonight." And he walks away I keep my eyes locked on him until he disappears.

"Hey, Roman you okay?" Mrs. Gomez asks placing a hand on my shoulder.

I keep staring at where Virgil disappeared. "Roman?" Mrs. Gomez asks shaking me a little.

I snapped out of my trance. "Wha- yeah I'm good to let's go," I say going to get into costume.

After the performance, we all go out to dinner at this fancy restaurant called Ristorante Stravagante.

Mrs. Gomez raises her glass. "Can we cheer for our stars, Roman and Virgil?" She says smiling. Everyone follows her lead.

I smile and look over to Virgil and he's gone. I look for Patton and he's gone too. I excuse myself and go outside to see Patton's arms wrapped around Virgil. He really is a good big brother. I silently walk over to Patton and whisper in his ear. "Can I take your place." He hesitantly nods and we switch places. He walks back inside.

Virgil's POV

I feel Patton slightly move but once he resituates himself he feels different. His build feels stronger. "Pat? Why'd your physique change?" I ask leaning more into him.

"Maybe because I'm not Patton." Someone says and I open my eyes to see Roman.

"I would get up but I'm too tired so sorry you're now my honorary human pillow," I say closing my eyes again.

"So why are you out here in the first place?"

"Anxiety of course," I say and Roman pulls me closer. I tense up slightly.

"Ah, I see, why are you so cold?" He says rubbing up and down my arms.

"I'm a cold person I guess," I say tensing up more. I decide to wiggle free from his arms. "Imma walk home can you tell Pat?" I ask Roman walking off.

I finally make it home and walk in to see my mom surrounded by empty beer bottles and bottles of champagne. "Mom?" I ask carefully stepping closer to her on the floor.

"Don't call me that."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't want to be your fucking mom you fucking worthless piece of shit. No one loves you I hope you know that. I shouldn't have had you, you're my biggest mistake. I wish you were never born...." She just goes on and on about how awful I am and how worthless I am and how it's my fault dad left us.

I feel hot tears on my face. I run outside and grab a shovel. I dig where I buried my blade and I grab it. I head inside and go down into my bathroom. I slam the door locking it.

I quickly pull out peroxide and bandages then get to work.

'Worthless.'

'No one loves you.'

'Mistake.'

'Dad left you because you fucked up like always.'

'Mental.'

'Fuck up.'

'Just die already!'

And with that last hurtful phrase, I snapped back into reality. I grabbed the peroxide and pour it into my cuts whimpering. Then I bandaged the cuts. I go to my baby monitor and turn it off. I lay in bed and start crying.
----

The next day I wake up late. I slowly run up the stairs and out the door and hop in the car. "Hey kiddo what took you so long?" Patton asks smiling until he sees my expression. "Let me see your arms."

"What? Why?" I ask trying to act innocent.

He grabs my wrist and I hiss. He starts pulling up my sleeve but I'm quick and get out of his grasp running out of the car and to school.

When I get there I run into Roman. "Hey what's the rush, Princess?"

"Shut up Prince Charming hide me," I say trying to catch my breath. He looks at me confused but grabs my wrist and I wince. His face seems full of realization and moves his hand to my hand and pulls me into a secret place under the stage.

"Okay, Virgil I won't force you to tell me but what're you running from and why'd you cut?" Roman asks letting go of my hand.

"It's not important and Patton he...found out," I said quickly trying to hide in my jacket.

"Okay, we'll be stuck in here for a while wanna skip?" Roman says moving boxes to make more room.

"Woah you skip?" I ask confused. "I mean I would like to skip but are you sure?"

"Yeah don't worry about it so maybe we can play a game like twenty questions?" Roman says pulling out some pillows from a box. I feel like this isn't his first time doing this.

"Why?" I asked pulling out my earbuds and putting one in.

"Even though we spent three weeks together I still don't know anything about you."

"And I'd like to keep not that way Sir-Sing-A lot."

He rolls his eyes. "I'll ask first. Do you cut often?"

I roll my eyes. "Why do you care?"

"Just answer it, Virge."

"Fine no just......on a bad day. Okay, I guess my turn. Is that girl Starr your girlfriend?" I asked turning my music slightly down.

"What? Starr? Oh no definitely not! She has a...boyfriend." He states defensively.

'He likes her.' I think turning my music back up.

"So why don't you have a boyfriend? That Jason kid seems to like you."

I shrug. "I don't like anyone." The voices start talking.

'Liar.'

'I'm, not a liar.'

'You like him.'

'I don't like him.'

'Look at him he's perfect your shit you're not worth him.'

'I know that.'

'Give up he only hangs around you because of the play.'

'It's over though.'

'Oh, he's just pitying you.'

"I don't need his FUCKING PITY!" I scream crying.

"Hey, Virgil who's pitying you?" Roman says putting a hand on my shoulder. I shrug it off of me.

"Leave me the fuck alone," I say with venom in my voice.

"Wha-?"

"Leave. Me. The. Fuck. ALONE! YOU DUMB FUCK GET AWAY FROM ME YOU ARROGANT PRICK! I scream crying more.

He hesitantly gets up and leaves. I start crying harder.

Why'd you let him get away moron?

"You told me to," I whisper quietly letting out quiet sobs.