Dad?

Virgil's POV
Patton and I get dropped off at home the next morning. I grab the mail and walk in. I look through the mail and find a letter for me. I grab it and hide it in my jacket. "I'm going to go downstairs," I say running down to my room slamming and locking the door.

I open the letter and begin reading.

Dear Virgil,
You may not want to hear from me but I wanted to tell you I am moving to your town. I miss you and your brother so much. It wasn't my intention to leave you when I did but your mom was becoming abusive towards me. If you ever need help or do want to get in touch to just talk my number is 800-1285. I would love to talk to you again and see how much of an amazing young man you've become. If I am correct you should be fifteen this Sunday.
Love, Thomas (Your Father)

I reread that twelve times thinking it must be some prank but I feel like it's true. I take it and tape it to my wall. "I miss you too dad," I whisper to myself.

I fight with myself for half an hour. I decide to call my father. I start dialing his number.

"Hello?" I hear a voice similar to Patton's but deeper.

"Is this Thomas?" I ask shaking.

"Yes, and you are?"

"I'm Virgil."

"Son?" He asks with disbelief in his voice.

"Yes."

"Oh my gosh how are you? You sound so old, buddy."

I chuckle he acts a lot like Patton. "I'm good and is that a compliment?"

He laughs. "Of course I miss you, buddy."

"I...miss you too," I say hesitantly.

We end up talking about life and everything for what seems like seconds but we talked most of the day. I found out he is an actor and he loves singing. I also learned he's a lot like Patton but we have some things in common.

After I hang up with him I hear knocking at my door. "Virgil, who have you been talking to?" I hear Patton's voice on the other side of the door.

I go and open the door. "Oh uh, I've been talking to...Roman." I say smiling at Patton.

He smiles."You two back to normal?"

"We're getting there," I say moving to the side to let him in.

"What's that on the wall?" He asks walking up to it.

I quickly step in his way. "Nothing." He tries to get past but I block his way. "It's a love letter from..." I start thinking of someone. "...Roman," I say looking down feeling bad for lying.

Patton stops trying to get past me. "Oh, that's cute! I'll leave it be if that's something you want to keep private." I nod and smile at him.

"So you want to go to Romans?" He asks smiling.

I roll my eyes. "I don't have a choice do I?"

"Nope! He says pulling me out and up the stairs. We get in his car and go to Logan's house picking him up then going to Romans.

When we get there I knock. He opens the door and I grab his arm pulling him to his room. I shut the door and lock it. "What're you doing Virgil?"

"Shut up and listen." I start. "Okay so I got a letter from my dad and I talked to him for the most of the day today. I taped his letter on my wall and after we hung up he asked who it was and I said to you. Then he tried to look at the letter but I good him it was...aloveletterfromyou?"

He looks at me like I'm an alien about to pull his brain out of his head. "You...what?"

"I know it was stupid I'm sorry but can you just pretend? Patton isn't my dads biggest fan and he'll yell at me for lying..and...and." I start ranting.

"Virgil?" I keep talking. "Virgil." I ignore him. "Virgil!" Roman yells putting a hand on my shoulder. I look at him embarrassed. "I'll do it." He says smiling.

"Thank you," I say wrapping him in a hug. He tenses up but slowly relaxes and hugs back.

We unlock the door and walk out seeing Patton crossing his arms tapping his foot. "Don't lock the door lovebirds." Roman laughs.

"Yessir, Patton sir." He says saluting him with a cheeky grin. We all laugh. "What're we doing for your birthday, Virgil?"

"Nothing..." I say looking down. Patton whispers something in Romans ear.

"Oh, I'm sorry Virge." I look up and put on a fake smile. My dad left us on my birthday so every year since then we never celebrate it. "Can I still get you a present?"

"You don't need to."

"But I want to so can I?" I shrug.

We spent the rest of the day talking about Christmas and my birthday.

When we got home someone was waiting for us on the couch. He stands up when we come in. "Hey guys," He says smiling.

He really does look like me. "Dad?" I ask in disbelief.