Chapter 3

Lance just couldn't hold it in anymore. Since dropping Keith off at the hospital, Lance has been absolutely livid, knowing that the transphobic asshole that did beat up Pidge got off scot-free. Nobody deserves to be targeted just because of their gender expression. All through the last of his classes, all Lance could think about was getting back at Jonah, and it didn't help that the asshole sat a couple rows in front of him, acting as if nothing was wrong. At one point, Jonah asked to leave the room to go to the washroom, and Lance noticed that he had been gone now for about twenty minutes. With a push of confidence, Lance asked to be excused from the room and slipped out, searching for Jonah. He showered the hallways until he found him standing at his locker.

"Hey!" Lance shouted as he approached Jonah. Jonah let out a huff and slammed his locker closed.

"What?"

"I need to talk to you."

"Can't this wait until later, douche?" Jonah retorts.

"No."

"Ugh, whatever. What do you want?"

"What gives you the fucking right to beat the shit out of someone like Pidge!? What is your fucking problem!"

"Her name is Katie, and she fuckin deserved it. She's a fuckin freak if she thinks she's a dude." Jonah says as he takes a step towards Lance, "and the tranny couldn't keep her fuckin mouth shut."

Lance lost it.

And he swung. Hitting Jonah in the nose with such force that he stumbles backwards, holding his nose.

"What the fuck!" Jonah exclaims. Lance takes one more punch to Jonah's stomach, causing him to curl into himself. Lance bends to Jonah's eye level and looks at him, putting a hand on Jonah's shoulder.

"If you ever say anything cruel or belittling about Pidge or even approach him, I will fuckin find you and do so much worse than I did today. Got it?"

"Y-y-yes." Jonah mumbles.

"Good," Lance says as he pushes Jonah into a locker before walking away. "Don't even think of telling anyone about what happened here."

Lance continues walking away from Jonah and turning down the hallway, unaware that Keith has seen and heard everything.

                                                                                         ___

A couple days had passed since Keith had seen Lance beat up Jonah, and there hadn't been a moment when Keith stopped thinking about it. Even now, on Keith's eighteenth birthday, he couldn't stop thinking about Lance. This was bad because today would be the day Keith could potentially start getting messages from his soulmate, as the story was when an individual turned eighteen, soulmates could send messages to one another on their skin.

"Keith!"

Keith jolted out of his daydream, turning to see his mom standing in his bedroom doorway.

"The doorbell has been ringing for five minutes; your brother and friends are here."

"Oh, thanks," Keith says, rushing to the front door. Swinging it open, revealing his smiling friends.

"Keith!" Pidge yells, "Happy birthday, ma dude!"

Keith laughs at Pidge's antics; happy they are doing okay after all that had gone down.

"My birthday isn't officially until midnight, you goofball!" Keith says, still laughing. Pushing Keith out of the way, Pidge barges in the front door and heads towards the basement, where Keith had set up several air mattresses, blankets and lots of snacks. Keith shakes his head and beckons Shiro and Matt to come in before shutting the door behind them. Once all downstairs, they fill the time by watching movies until, at around 11, Pidge turns off the television and gets a serious look on his face.

"Okay, guys, it's time to play... truth or dare!"

Matt, Keith and Shiro simultaneously groan.

"Oh, come on! It is a sleepover necessity, so let the hunger games begin!" Pidge exclaims as he gathers everyone into a circle and decides to go first.

"Alright, Matt- truth or dare?"

"Truth," Matt says quickly.

"Ugh, boring," Pidge groans. "Have you talked to your soulmate? And you need to answer truthfully! I don't want you to be a single pringle forever!"

"Yes, Pidge, I have talked to my soulmate!" Matt says, laughing.

"Oh, thank god!" Pidge says exasperatedly. The group continued the game of truth or dare until 11:50, when all of a sudden, Keith's mom came downstairs with a chocolate cake decorated in red icing. Setting it down on the coffee table, they huddled around it as Krolia grabbed the lighter to light the candles. Once all lit, they sang a very off-tune happy birthday before Keith blew out the candles at midnight. Krolia hugged Keith before wishing him a happy birthday and heading back upstairs to head to bed. Pidge then launched himself at Keith to hug him before handing him a gift bag.

"Here! Open it!" Pidge exclaims. Keith laughs as he opens the bag to discover a box of fifty scented markers, causing everyone to laugh.

"Come on, Keith! Let's see if you can message your soulmate!" Pidge says excitedly.

"Okay, okay!" Keith says as he takes out the red, cherry-scented marker and writes his first message.

                                                                                              ___

Sitting on his bed while scrolling through his Instagram feed, Lance starts feeling weird tingling on his forearm. Putting his phone down, Lance turns his arm over, and his eyes widen; one word is written in red and smells faintly of cherries.

Hi

Lance smiled excitedly and rushed over to his desk to grab a blue marker to reply. Feeling so ecstatic to finally be able to talk to his soulmate.