-19-

The tranquility over me, in me, and around me is slowly being eaten away at. Slowly shattering... because of a dream? A dream while dead? Now that's definitely something. I've been feeling at peace for quite some time now. Who knows how long it has actually been since my death. It feels like it's been months and to suddenly have my calming stillness taken away from me seems kind of strange. 

The dream starts off slightly fuzzy, like an out-of-focus camera. But, a weird thing about this 'dream' is that I don't feel like I'm physically in it. It's more like I'm spectating, watching from a distance like I'm standing behind the scenes but can still walk around freely on the set. A dull ache begins to throb behind my eyes from the blurry scenery which decides to finally focus after a few moments. I take a few glances around, thoroughly soaking up my surroundings. 

I'm in a vast park that's being occupied by trees with leaves that are green while some others are a light purple or pink. The land that the trees are, standing tall, on top of is lush green grass. Several flowers have blossomed here and there on the beautiful grass as well.

I look down at myself to see I'm barefooted and have on a thin, white, flowy dress that reaches a little below my knees. I wiggle my toes on the green grass but feel nothing. No slight tickle that the grass usually gives. The trees start to sway from a wind that I also cannot feel. I crouch down and reach out to touch one of the flowers but my hand just goes right through. None of my other dreams have ever been like this before. Is this even a dream?

I hear light chatter that seems to be blowing in the wind so I take it upon myself to find the source. 

After walking through the trees, the voices start to become clearer as I get closer and closer. A clearing starts to come into view and I see a little girl sitting on a bench. She looks to be around the age of eight or nine, but I can't really tell since her back is to me. 

My feet take me in front of the girl and disbelief ripples through me. Shock holds me in place as my eyes slowly run over her. I haven't seen this girl in about six years.

This (h/c) haired girl calmly sitting in front of me, on a bench with a cat on her lap and a small smile on her face is me. I don't know how I didn't know before or remember that I used to visit this park many times when I got bored at home or things would get too rowdy. 

And every time I would come, that same black cat would be there. He would talk to me all the time even though, at first, he seemed a little skeptical but finally gave in.

'Hold on a minute. I would know that tail anywhere. I-It's Kuro's!'

Shock still has me in overdrive because I notice that Kuro and I were having a conversation. I could only hear the last part of it but it ended with old me saying "show me!" and Kuro walking off with a lazy "fine".

He stalks over to the shade of the trees across from where the bench sits on the other side of the clearing.

Then, my ears catch a familiar poof. Kuro transforms into his human form in front of both of us. He leans up against a tree slothfully, waiting with lazy but expecting eyes for her reaction. 

'If I remember correctly, I think I was pretty happy at the time.'

My 'thoughtful' claim turns out right as the nine-year-old female runs up to him and starts to curiously search his body. I smile warmingly at the interesting exchange.

"Mr. Sleepy Ash sir, you're so cool," Younger me beams.

"Thanks, I guess...and stop calling me Mr. Sleepy Ash. Just Sleepy Ash is fine," He states with hints of sheepishness.

"Ok Sleepy Ash- Oooooh! Are those fangs?!" To my amusement, she pulls on Kuro so he'll get down to her height. He silently complies and sinks to the ground, crossing his legs once he hits the grass. "Can I touch them! Can I touch them, Sleepy Ash!"

Kuro sighs, "No." She starts to pout dramatically, "Come on Sleepy Ash! Please? Please?"

"I don't want you to prick yourself, (Y/n)," He sleepily drawls out. "Also, having your hands in my mouth is gross."

There's a short silence, little me's face turns blank. "I don't know if you're trying to be caring or just plain rude!" Her blank expression slipping back into a pout. I chuckle at my childish actions.

"Yeah, Yeah. Whatever kid, you should get back home now. The sun is starting to set."

She crosses her arms over her chest and sighs. "So, caring I guess?" She mutters under her breath. "Alright! I'm gonna go!" She hops up and walks back to the way I came. 

"Bye Sleepy Ash!" She shouts, waving ecstatically. After that, she runs off. I start to turn back to Kuro when a splitting pain shoots through my head. I fall to my knees and blackout.