28: Reputation

Someone is knocking; it must be someone who doesn't know you're deaf. Worick signed quickly. We should hide.

As the two men tried to silently hide where ever they could, you tried to look like you weren't paying attention to the door. But the options were limited. Where was that woman? Why hadn't she given you a warning?!

Worick and Nic flew beneath the bed and you sat on the edge, looking lost.

The door opened to reveal your husband, and you jumped in your seat to see him. He certainly knew you were deaf. So why did he knock?

"Hello." He greeted you with a kiss on your forehead. "I tried to knock loud enough for you to hear. Did it work?"

"No." You replied back. "I am sorry"

"Why was there a girl sleeping outside your room?" He asked you, suspiciously.

"Probably a guard from my mother." You spoke slowly and enunciated.

"It was those hooligan's secretary. Worick and Nicolas." He looked at you seriously. "Let's go."

You nodded and stood up, surprised at him dropping the subject. Normally, he kept pressing you on it until he got the answer he wanted.

You picked up your dressed from last night as Miles hovered behind you. It was particularly odd knowing that your two other lovers were underneath your bed right now.

Nicolas was completely in the dark-- unable to see or hear anything. But Worick could hear everything. And something didn't sound right.

And the next something sounded absolutely sickening.

The crack of flesh meeting flesh told him everything he needed to know. Miles wasn't a good husband. He didn't deserve you. He wasn't taking care of you. And if you ever gave him a reason to kill him; he would take it.

But for now, he had to stay silently beneath the bed or risk losing everything. He shook in anger as he listened to your muffled sobs of surprise and Miles' accusations of embarrassment. He had no proof, but he knew that people would talk if even the smallest detail got out. 

"Wowek wow wepwoowaywon! Wop weewing woopwid!" He screamed at you as you covered your eyes and cried. No one had ever treated you like this. Not since you had left your father's house and moved in with Georgiana.

Worick's heart was breaking as he listened to your sobs. He desperately wanted to run out and hold you. To run out and shoot Miles between his plain, horrible face. And he honestly, at this very moment, was jealous of Nicolas. If Worick were deaf right now, he wouldn't have had to imprint the sounds you were making into his heart. He could just look down and wait until they got the all clear.

He would have to tell him later. And stop him from trying to murder Miles. And going to comfort you. Nothing would be fun about the rest of the day. Nothing would even be good.

"Get up." Miles told you as you looked at his face. "We have places to be and you need to fix your make-up now. I don't ever want to have to hit you again. Just remember how important it is to maintain our reputation. It should be the first thing on your mind."