Part 22

When I arrived home, I had to take care of everything in the best way possible, so that when I went back to London, all things would have been put in order and nothing remained undone. The days spent at home were more a formality because I was doing everything that I had to do, tried to handle everything as well as I could, but, in the same time, my mind was in another place for quite a long time already. As the time was passing, I came to understand more and more that what happened to me was the best thing that could have happened, and I was very satisfied with how things turned out in the end.

If I come to think now, looking from where I am now, when writing this story, and thinking of those days back in 2015, I know that was the biggest step and the most important turn my life had to take.

When I went to my office and when I had to quit my job, even if I used to work there for such a long time, and I cared about that place, everything came so naturally, and there was no sign of regret. Maybe, in other circumstances, I would have had some doubts, but this time, there was not the place for it.

Quickly, I found a lot of support in my friends and they offered to help me in taking care of my house while I was away.

I tried to gather them one evening at my place andtalk more, but my friends from work took me out one evening and I also took mychildhood friends as well, for a dinner which ended up with dancing and lots oflaughter. I told them everything that was about to happen with my life, about my job changes and the fact that I'll be traveling around the United States with my new team. They proved to be very happy for me and for my new life. It was not easy to come in front of my dear ones, after quite a short period of time and say they might not see me for God knows how long, but they understood and, what it was the most important, was that they were there for me with all their hearts. The only aspect which I couldn't mention in any way was Harry; I don't know why, but I preferred to keep this just for myself. It was something so personal and so pure to me that I didn't want anyone to find out. At least not then. The fact that Laura knew about him was enough for me.

My mother was the most emotional out of everyone and we had to make a pact – that I'll be calling her all the time and keep her updated. It broke my heart to have to leave her, but I knew that no matter where in this world I would ever come to settle down someday, I'd come back and take her with me. Until then, my friends promised me to take care of her and this calmed me a little bit.

The few days that I had available to put my thoughtstogether were passing one by one and, a day before leaving back to London, I wantedto visit Maria at the make-up school, as I promised while I was away. When I got inside, I knew she would be very surprised to see me, as she had no idea I'd be back home. I hid behind the door and looked at her while she was teaching the young girls from the make-up course – I saw the same friendly, warm person thanks to whom, in a way, I was where I was that day. The passion she was putting in her words and her dedication turned her into a magnetic teacher, an incredible personality. Tears started to fall on my face while I was lookingat Maria, realizing also that she was aging and, probably in maximum two yearsor so, she will have to leave her job. I was worried about her, seeing her sofragile; a woman who dedicated her entire life to the beauty industry, who wasfamous for years and who decided to teach others all that she knew. Maria hadno children, so she was considering we were her children and because of it,that she had some kind of duty in front of us. If we managed to succeed in lifewith what she was teaching us, then this was her biggest happiness.