Make Me Wanna Die

"W-What?"

"Well now that his parents are indisposed of he'll need to be placed within the system and a temporary foster family until we can find a more permanent solution."

"Well I'd be more than happy to take him if that's an option."

"I appreciate the offer but with all do respect, there are rules and I can't just leave him with what appears to be a good samaritan."

"B-But-"

"Mr.Pine don't make this any harder than it already is, just release the child into our custody so we can begin the process."

"Alright but just...just give me a few minutes, this isn't about to be pretty."

"It never is, take your time."

David nodded and stepped back into the room and put his face in his hands as he walked over to the bed.

When he removed his hands he saw Gwen staring at him with eyes full of tears hurt while she unconsciously ran her fingers through Max's hair.

"You're up.."

"I heard everything David. They have to take him."

"I know."

"I don't know if I can let him go."

"I don't want to but it's the law and it's not like we're registered as next of kin or certified foster parents."

"He's so small...they'll eat him alive. Despite his bark, his bite is pretty weak."

"Gwen.."

"Just..let me wake him."

David nodded and looked away while Gwen sat up and began to lightly shake the boy until he stirred to life.

"Urgh...I need coffee, what time is it?"

"Too soon..."

"What?"

After rubbing the sleep from his eyes he noticed the expressions on both the adult's faces, the held back tears, and their sad demeanors.

"What's going on?"

"You're going to have to leave..with that caseworker outside the room."

"What?! Hell the fuck no, I want to stay with you!!"

"And we want you to but we don't exactly have rights to you!!"

"But you said you'd protect me and now you're just shipping me off!!"

"Max we-"

"NO!! YOU'RE BOTH LIARS AND I HATE YOU!!"

Gwen was taken aback and seemed genuinely hurt by the boy's statement but decided to keep a lid on her emotions so he didn't get even more upset.

Max had tears streaming down his cheeks and a burning hatred in his chest that was being used to mask a larger mass of sadness and pain. Why couldn't anything ever go right for him?

David walked over and picked him and held him tightly against his chest so he could speak directly into his ear.

"It's okay, we promise that we'll do everything in our power to get you back and make sure you're safe with us again. But you have to give us time and  be strong while you're away."

"I don't wanna g-go..."

"I know baby I know but we don't have a choice."

David rocked him back an forth and kissed him all over his head while whispering sweet nothing's just so the boy could calm down. It wasn't exactly working at first but eventually he relaxed in David's hold and told them both that he understood and would do his part so long as they did theirs.