Monster

"Howdy."

Max's blush spread across his face quickly as he ripped his earbuds out and stuffed them and his phone into his pocket.

Felix had seen what happened to Max and followed after him after he told Connie he'd take care of it. He found him inside the auditorium looking rather sad but before he could say anything he started singing, and it was one of the most beautiful voices he'd ever heard.

Max hadn't noticed he was there so he just stood there and watched as the boy kept his voice even as the words flowed out like they belonged to him. He was literally owning a song that wasn't even his!

When he was done, he noticed his presence and immediately froze up and blushed. Damn, he'd embarrassed the boy and now they were standing there giving each other awkward smiles.

"I uh...saw what happened in the cafeteria. I'm sorry that happened to you Max."

"Don't worry about it, it's not your problem."

"Max, what they did to you wasn't right. Regardless of what you've done, you didn't deserve it."

"Then why does it keep happening?!"

Felix stopped dead in his tracks as Max grit his teeth and glared at the floor, he'd never seen him like this before so it was definitely surprising.

"Max..."

"All I've ever done...is tried to live my best life despite everything that I've been put through and all I ever get is somebody's ass to kiss! I'M SICK OF THIS SHIT!!"

Tears were burning his eyes as he clenched his fists so hard that they began to bleed, he just wanted it all to stop just for one goddamn second.

And in an instant, he got his wish.

Felix had strode over and crouched down to his height before wrapping him in his big strong arms.

"It's okay...no one can hurt you anymore. You're safe."

Max tensed in the teen's grasp but slowly began to relax and let himself sob into his shirt while Felix stroked his hair and rubbed his back.

When he finally calmed down he wiped his tears and sat down in one of the many seats while the older boy did the same directly next to him.

"...thanks for that."

"What exactly was that?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, the kid I know is brash and has a potty mouth out of this world but for some reason he's in here crying his eyes out because of some brats who don't mean shit."

"Woah, did you just swear??"

"I'm a teen, we do that."

"Yeah well everyone around here acts like they're holier than Jesus Christ himself so.."

"Max, why'd you let them get to you?"

"I..."

Why did he let them get to him? It wasn't like he actually gave a fuck about them, but for some reason it struck him in his core.

"I don't know...I've been hated all my life so I should be used to it."

"No one should be used to feeling like that, it's wrong and unhealthy."

"Yeah well...it just happens."

"Well maybe we can change that."

"Huh?"