Bad Blood

It was finally the last day for the kids of Camp Campbell and honestly, the amount of tension in the air was thick enough to chop suey and serve.

Max had stuck to David and Gwen like glue and often stayed with them in their cabin but he hadn't really said anything more about his family since it looked like both the adults were bursting with rage but didn't want him to see them like that.

Gwen was going crazy in her mind while she thought of ways to exterminate his family and dispose of the bodies without getting caught, while David was doing his best to keep his cool and wear a smile so no one would know what was up.

Now it was here, judgment day. The day to end all days, for Max that is.

One by one all the kids were picked up by their parents until there was no one left except David, Gwen, Neil, Nikki, and Max.

"So Max, you ready to see your parents again?"

"OH I bet they're all alike with the whole annoyed brooding thing. Huh huh, am I right?"

"I don't fucking know, where the fuck are your parents?"

"Well my dad caught Quartersister from Nikki's mom buuuuuuut...he's fucking smitten."

"Yeah my mom really put it down."

"Do you even know what that means?"

"Nah I just heard it on TV."

Max smirked, he'd miss these jokesters after today when it all came crashing down. Gwen and David had told him that they had something planned but that didn't him from being on edge or his little heart from beating against his chest like a ceremonial drum.

David placed a hand on his shoulder and gave him a warm smile as a way of reassuring him that everything would be fine. It didn't exactly work but it still felt nice.

Finally Nikki and Neil's parents pulled in a fancy new car and honked the horn twice.

"That's our ride."

"Oh Jesus Fucking Christ they actually showed up together!!"

"...Take care of yourselves you two."

Max turned around and began walking away with his head down but found himself jumped and tackled to the ground by his friends.

"Now don't sound so down, we'll see each other again!"

"Yeah and if you're not careful people might start thinking that you give a shit."

Max tried to stifle his laughter but ended up letting it out as he wrapped his arms around his only friends before they had to leave.

When they were finally gone, David led Gwen and Max back to the cabin so they could wait for the latter's parents.

As the sun set, anxiety began to rise up in all their chests while they waited and waited for his parents to show, but of course they didn't and by the time they'd had enough it was already dark outside.

Max was yawning and was about to grab his mug so he could make some more coffee but David stopped him and pulled back the blankets on the bed.

"What the hell are you-"

"It's late and you're obviously tired, so just rest up and we'll let you know if they show."

Too tired to argue, Max complied and crawled underneath the blanket and rolled over. He was out in a matter of seconds.