21 | Soft Hearts

[ Osaka, Japan ]

"Oppa... Um, this might be hard to believe..." I trailed off, biting my lip nervously when Jasper finally picked up my call on the eighth ring.

"Mia, what's hard to believe–"

There was a sudden pause on the line, some sort of harrowing realization, and my thrumming heart stopped beating at this.

"Wait. Why are you calling me using an international number?"

I gulped down the knot in my throat, before letting out a sheepish smile, hoping that Jasper could sense my guilty stance from 500 miles away.

"That's my point, oppa... I might have traveled to Japan for work," I finally confessed, fidgeting my fingers with the hem of my shirt subconsciously.

There were a few commotions on the line—but it wasn't anything harsh. It was as if Jasper had dropped his phone, but with his athletic reflexes, he probably managed to catch it before it could free fall to the ground.

"M-Mia, can you explain, like in words, what do you mean you are in Japan?" He inhaled sharply, and I could almost imagine Jasper pinching his nose bridge—his usual gesture whenever something overwhelmed him.

I let my shoulders withered into a relax posture before reiterating again, "I'm in Osaka for a photo shoot, oppa."

There was a peaceful silence for a minute, and the storm suddenly screeched through.

"Why didn't you inform me earlier? What if something happen to you? Who will protect you from any danger?" Jasper began his endless inquiries, and I held the phone far away from my ear, startled by his raised voice.

"Oppa, calm down... I came here with my company, so there won't be any danger," I spoke in a gentle tone, trying to assure him. "I know we've never separated from each other, and I know I'm being a little crazy for leaving the country–"

"A 'little' would be an understatement, Mia..." Jasper cut me off.

I pressed my lips into a thin line, admitting defeat at his remark. "Anyway, I'm really sorry. But oppa, even if I told you about it, you won't let me go, right?"

This time, Jasper was silenced by my inquiry. Because I know my overprotective brother better than anyone else. It was already hard enough to convince him to let me stay in Seoul, and it only worked because Gayoung unnie was in the charade together with me.

Of course. I had to mold a pretty white lie to Gayoung unnie as well. Something like 'Jasper knew what happened between me and the boys in New York, so it'd be best not to tell him anything about my job as BTS' stylist.'

So until now, Jasper still thought I worked for Vogue Korea, which I'd hoped it would stay this way for the moment. Like I said, I hate complicating stuff.

"For how long are you gonna stay there?"

Jasper had calmed down a little, and I smiled at this. Because with such question, he seemed like he didn't want to press this matter for any longer. He was slowly conceding.

"Only two months, so I will be back by July," I told him, shrugging it off like it wasn't a big deal.

"J-July?" Jasper stammered, and my heart was once again frantic, afraid that he would take back his words in any second.