Chapter 1

Chapter 1

{Taylor}       

    Tired. Exhausted. That's all I ever am these days. And I am not feeling like going to this bridal shower tonight. That sounds selfish, I know. But, I'm exhausted.

    My name is Taylor Simpson. I'm 20 years old, and I'm currently doing my second year of under grad at the University of Alberta, and it's a very exhausting school to be enrolled in.

    I'm always studying, or I'm in classes, and it's fatiguing after two years of doing this. I still have two more years to go, but for now, I'm dying.

    It's the second Friday of March, which means classes are done in just over a month. I'm looking forward to that, but right now, I'm too exhausted to even care.

    I go to the U of A, and I live in Edmonton, Alberta.

    I sprawl myself out on my bed in my apartment. My apartment is not a bad size, but let's just say, I can't wait until I'm rich and can buy a huge house somewhere.

    My best friend, Jessica Glow is getting married in August. She's only twenty, like me, but she said she just couldn't wait any longer to get married. I think she's a bit young, but there is no changing her mind. She's on her second year off since high school, and by the looks of it, she doesn't plan on going back to school.

    We have a bridal celebration tonight at some big hall Downtown. Honestly, I'm not in the mood to go. Because that means I would have to do my hair, get into my dress, and all that. Don't get me wrong, I love Jessica to death, but I'm not feeling it right now.

    The Earth is a cold, dark place, I think to myself.

    That's sort of like motto in life. The Earth is a cold, dark place, and that's certain.

    I glance at the time. 5:00. The bridal celebration is at 6:30. Usually, bridal showers are just for the girls, but tonight, all the girls invited are bringing their boyfriends or husbands. So, basically everyone is coming. But, I don't have a boyfriend, so I'm going solo.

    I should probably get going, if I want to make it there on time.

    Reluctantly, I get up, put on my black dress, straighten my long brown hair, and put on just a bit of makeup.

    I sigh, and head to the parking lot to start heading Downtown. It's not too far from where I live.

    As I start driving, I think about Jessica. I am so happy for her. We have been best friends for the longest time. But honestly, it's all she's been talking about for the past year. She rants on and on about how amazing her wedding is going to be, and I love hearing her talk about it, but sometimes, she talks about it a little too often. Okay, a lot of the time.

    Within half an hour, I arrive at the hall, and park my car. I head inside, and shield myself from the cold spring breeze. Thankfully, summer is coming.

    I walk into the hall, and see tons of people mingling, and enjoying the wine and cheese that is laid out for people to take.

    "Taylor!" Jessica calls, as she comes over to me, a mob of her friends following her. "Hey Jessica." I say, casually.

    Jessica embraces me in a huge hug, and I hug back. Her blonde hair is curled, and in some fancy style, and her white dress looks gorgeous on her. Jessica and I have been best friends since we were 10, but we are so different. She's blonde; I'm brunette. She loves wearing white, where as black is more my color. But we get along so well!

    "So glad you could make it today." Jessica yells. "Thanks Jess. I'm happy too." I say, smiling.

    Soon enough, Jessica continues mingling with people, and I find myself sitting at a table, by myself, watching the crowds of wedding guests walk by, busy in their own lives.