Chapter 20

Chapter 20

{Ryan}

Taylor and I sat and watched the city from the river for about half an hour, until we both decided to head back up the trail.

The uphill portion is the worst part, but we are both really athletic, so of course we thought it was fun.

By the time we reached the top, we had talked and caught up so much, and we were both sweating like crazy. It was great.

I don’t really know what triggered this sudden change of attitude towards me from Taylor. Just last week, she seemed like she was ignoring me, and then suddenly, she’s inviting me to go for a walk with her. 

I thought it might be because her and Logan broke up, but clearly the two of them are still together. And happily together, at that. 

“Well, we finally reached the top!” Taylor shouts, jumping up and down like a little girl.

It’s adorable.

“Yeah! That was a really good trail. Thank-you for inviting me to come with you Taylor. I needed to get out of the house. You were right.” I laugh, looking down at her.

She smiles.

“I know you too well, silly.” She laughs, lightly punching me on the arm.

I pretend like it hurts and we both laugh together, before sitting down on a bench, where just beyond us, sits Downtown Edmonton.

There is a pause in our conversation as we both look out at Downtown, still so fascinated by its beauty.

“Hey Ryan,” Taylor says, looking at me.

“Yes?” I ask, looking at her.

Our eyes meet, and I can feel her perfection looking through me as I stare into her deep brown eyes.

“I’m really...” Taylor takes a deep breath, and looks back out at the city.

“I’m really sorry I didn’t make your birthday party this year.” She finishes.

I sigh a huge sigh of relief. I don’t know why she’s suddenly apologizing two months later, but whatever, I’m cool with it.

“Don’t apologize.” I smile. 

She opens her mouth to speak, but then closes it. A smile spreads across her face, and then she just looks back out at the city.

We sit there for about ten minutes, before we both decide to head back to my place for dinner.

It’s currently 6:00, and we are both starving, and sweaty.

Taylor jumps in her car, I get into mine, and we both head back to my place where we will meet for dinner.

We arrive at my place at the same time, and I get out of my truck to go greet her. 

“Wow Ryan, I haven’t been to your place in a long time.” Taylor breathes, looking up at my house.

“Oh, it’s nothing special.” I shrug. “Yes it is! It’s gorgeous!” She laughs, as she grabs a Lululemon bag from the back of her car.

Probably her change of clothes.

We walk together through the garage entrance of my house, and then we walk to the kitchen.

“My God, I’ve missed this place. Ryan, you have such a nice house.” Taylor laughs, looking around.

It’s as if she doesn’t even really remember this place. That’s how long it has been since she came here last. 

“Thanks.” I laugh.