Chapter 13

Chapter 13

{Ryan}

It’s been a week since Taylor turned me down for Logan.

Once again.

Today is Saturday, April 26. 

There is a huge playoff party for family and friends of the Oilers players at Taylor Hall’s cabin out at the lake tonight.

It’s a post-season party, even though playoffs start this Tuesday, and we have been practicing super hard for that first round against the Sharks.

This party should be a nice break from that, and I’m really looking forward to it.

It’s supposed to be huge. Family members, and friends are coming, as well as all the players.

I invited Justin and Jessica, and I really want to invite Taylor as well.

It’s currently 10:30 in the morning, and the party starts at 7:00. However, it’s about an hour drive from here to Hallsy’s cabin, so we would have to leave at around 6:00 to get there on time. 

If I’m going to invite her, then I may as well do it now.

After loving Taylor for so long, being rejected really hurts. I can’t even tell her that I love her, because that would ruin things between us. She would be shocked to know that her best guy friend has loved her since we were kids. 

That would creep her out. I can’t do that.

So for now, I sit and wait as my heart breaks, praying one day she’ll realize that I will always be here, and she is my everything.

I decide to call her instead of texting her, as it’s just faster.

I dial her number, and on the second ring, Taylor picks up.

“Hello?” She says, sounding happy.

“Hey Taylor!” I say, trying to match her happy tone as well.

I’m honestly really nervous, but I can’t let her know that.

“Hey Ryan.” She says, plainly.

Her mood changes, significantly.

“How’s your first week of summer been?” I ask, smiling. “Good, you?” She asks. “Not quite summer for me. We have playoffs starting this Tuesday.” I explain. “Great.” She says, blankly.

Something has gotten into Taylor, and that is certain.

“I was wondering, if you wanted to come to the huge playoff party tonight for Oilers friends and families at Hallsy’s cabin? It starts at 7:00.” I say.

I know she knows where it is because we used to go out to his cabin all the time during the summer.

“Uhm. I don’t know. It’s an hour away, I don’t really want to drive out there.” I can see her shrugging on the other line.

“Well, I’d like it if you came.” I say, sounding down. “I know. I don’t know.” She says.

It’s obvious she doesn’t want to come.

“Can Logan come?” She asks.

My heart sinks. My throat gets dry, and my palms get sweaty. 

I knew she was going to ask if he could come. I just knew it. 

What am I supposed to say? No? That will make her hate me! I can’t say that!

“Yeah, sure.” I say, trying not to sound too dis-heartened.