The Horrible(ish) Day

Art by Se7en Siblings. (omg so sorry I had to take a picture of it and edit it so horribly since the original picture was too tiny and obscure omg im sorry)

"The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other."

-Burton Hills

____________________________________________

The next day was just as bad as (Y/n) would expect, like every other Christmas, all she'd get would be a couple of T-shirts and jeans, most of which she didn't like nor did it fit her.

She almost never received anything she actually wanted as a kid, so believing in Santa was out of the question.

And if she'd ever ask her parents why he never brought her what she had asked for was because she'd been a 'bad' child all year.

Whining in bed, she reluctantly got up once she heard the sound of her parents chatting excitedly.

She put on a warm blue sweater with lacy designs on it along with some black jeans just to look presentable enough when she leaves for the living room, and not what her father calls a 'hobo'.

(Y/n) walked down the stairs agonizingly slow, just to save some time of not talking to her parents and enjoy it while she can.

Once at the bottom, she caught eye of her parents already waiting by the cheap, PVC tree that contained very few ornaments, with very few presents underneath to boot.

"Wow, I wonder what I'll get this year!" she says sarcastically, the grin on her face looking as fake as the tree itself. Her parents didn't seem to notice.

"Merry Christmas!!" her dad calls, wearing an ugly Christmas sweater, and I mean the ugly kind. "Here, open it already!!" her mom shouts happily, shoving a crudely-wrapped box in her arms, clapping her hands with excitement as her daughter observes it, tearing what little paper was left on it with tiny effort.

It was of course, a simple white box, nothing too exciting.

"Open it!" her mom cried out with glee. Honestly, (Y/n) has no idea why they're so happy when they keep getting her the same thing every year.

Nonetheless, she opens the box to reveal a blue sweater...the one she was currently wearing.

"Wow, I love it!" she says in a tone that was obviously saracastic. She checks the collar of the sweater and saw that it was one size smaller than what she really was.

She flashes a smile and looks towards the other presents. Her dad must've caught her eye because the next thing he said was, "Don't worry, we still have more, no need to get so antsy!"

She'd have to wait longer than expected.

~~~

Tending to the flowers in the backyard was of course, no easy feat. It had stopped snowing, but the aftermath was outrageous.

(Y/n) had also heard that the Christmas dance that was supposed to take place at school had been canceled and would be moved to another date.

She grunted hard as she yanked out a few sturdy weeds that refused to move, and tossed them into a plastic bag, not really giving a crap if she messed up any of the flowers, they practically withered at this point.

It wasn't really her choice to do that, her mother punished her after catching her dirty looks that she had made towards a really ugly dress much too short for her, and called her an "ungrateful brat" afterwards.