Chapter 18: I Won't Forgive Vermouth

Conan's POV
Where will you strike next Vermouth? I'm waiting for you. Ah, I can't focus! That nightmare bothers me more than Kid! I thought, frustrated and scanning my surroundings.

"Whatever happens, don't lose sight of Ran, Kazuha, and Sonoko, Hattori. Use the flashlight in case of power outage,"  I whispered through the earring, quietly.

"Right back at ya, Kudou," Hattori answered, tapping the earring.

"I don't think it's safe to use the stairs, Kudou-kun. There seems to be a mechanism that turns them into ice which will make your feet slip," Hakuba-san cautioned, sharply.

"Where are you, Hakuba-san? I can't find you anywhere," I said, looking for him.

"I'm near the staircase, Kudou-kun. I recommend it best to use the elevator to stop Kid from escaping. There's still 10 minutes before midnight meaning it's 11:50 p.m.," he added, returning to his post.

About 10 seconds before midnight that was shown by the screen outside the museum that was near the trees and taped at the back were speakers and bold numbers for the preceding cards.

"It's a 9!" A man shouted, picking up a white card.

"Here's 8!" A kid yelled, holding up another.

"I got 7!" Sonoko declared, showing a card and a yellow rose.

"I found a 6, Nakamori-keibu!" A guard announced, handing it to him.

"Mine is 5!" A woman announced,  showing it to everyone with a yellow rose.

"There is 4 here, Nakamori-keibu!" Hakuba-san reported, giving it to him.

"Kid sent me 3!" A cameraman cheered, waving it around.

"There was a 2 taped to my back, Jirokichi-san!" A bodyguard informed, rushing to him.

"1? 1 what!?" Aoko exclaimed irritably, receiving a card and a blue rose.

Then there was a loud bang and a cloud of smoke burst out. When the smoke cleared, Kid stood on a tree branch under the full moon with emergency shining upon him and everyone roared with excitement.

"Ladies and Gentleman! I bring you tonight a magical illusion as my Christmas present!" Kid announced, his voice echoing as he continued, "I welcome you and grateful that you will be my witnesses as the white castle shall be blanketed with pure snow and Santa Claus and his close adviser shall arrive from the North Pole along with his faithful elf and loyal reindeers to protect the dreams of every child. Let the magic show begin!"