Chapter 24

"It only been two days, Pitch," Melissa said in the comfort of my bed. "According to my sources at the department, everybody is balls deep in it."

"I wish he was balls deep in me," I flopped down next to her and rested my head on her lap.

"You know you could just call him?" she said. Her soft fingers rifled through my hair.

"That is not the point, Melissa." When the hell did she turn into the reasonable one? "We should go to his apartment, and let you fuck me silly and make him watch."

"I'm totally up for that, but let not go too crazy."

My mind started to wonder. Damn! My life was turning into a stupid ChickLit novel called, 'Pitch Can't Find Love Again, Unless There is Blood.' My mind went back to a real possibility why wasn't calling. "What happens if he knows? Knows that I killed Detective Howard."

"You are not that sloppy, Pitch," Melissa commented, "except when you come."

"You nasty."

She laughed and continued. "You always took care of loose ends. You didn't fuck up. You never do."

"Maybe I got cocky and made a stupid ass mistake."

"Like what?" Melissa joked. "Leave a cup of your urine at the crime scene? Even if you did, they don't have your DNA on file. In the off chance, your boyfriend could figure this whole shit out, he would be here right now with a dozen police officer taking your sexy ass to jail." A big grin came over her face as she continued to share her opinion. "Maybe, the real reason is he knows you are the killer, not just of Detective Howard, but all of your victims and he is planning your escape and y'all can live life like Bonnie and Clyde."

"You are aware that Bonnie and Clyde died in a hail of bullets."

"Details, Details," she said. "Don't ruin a good crime and romance story with reality."

My phone vibrated on the nightstand. I hoped it was my Leo. I grabbed the phone, and answered it in a calm tone, but added some element of sass, letting Leo know I was pissed. "Hello, 'Mr. I Can't call my Girlfriend for Two Days.' How the hell are you?"

"Okay," Leo replied. "I deserved that one. I'm sorry that I haven't called. It is crazy over here."

"I don't give a shit how crazy it is. You fucking told me you loved me and no calls or follow-ups? And don't give me the shit that I could have called you."

Melissa covered my phone with her hand. "What the fuck are you doing?" she whispered. "Don't fuck this up because of your fucking pride."

I smacked her hand away. "I got this girl. Are you going to tell me what going on?"

Long paused heard over the phone and Leo spoke. "I need to ask you some questions?"

"Questions?" I asked. "What questions?"

"What the case?"

"What case?" Oh shit! Oh shit!  He knows. He knows fucking everything. Fuck!

"The case of Detective Howard. I would like to talk to you this evening."

"Okay," I answered. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! "See you then." I ended the call and toss the phone on the floor and watched it come apart on impact.

"Calm the fuck down," Melissa said. "They ain't got shit on you." She took hold of my hands. "They got nothing on you."

"Why he wants to ask me questions?"

Melissa rolled her shoulders. "I don't know. Maybe he wants your opinion?"

"He has a Ph.D. in this shit. What does he need from me."